Problems with deerflies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with deerflies

mzl

DefaultProblems with deerflies

Every morning I walk my two labs in the woods behind my house. My black lab's head is constantly covered with a swarm of deerfiles. The red lab is not as much affected.
    I would like to know if anybody knows about a repellent for those pesky flies (or any other method to stop them biting Bimber's ears). I cannot find anything in the local pet stores.
    Margaret

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Problems with deerflies

Deer flies and horse flies drive me nuts, and I use the deerfly patches on my cap http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...2,51555&ap=2.* I wonder if there is some way you could adapt these for your dog, like putting it on a scarf somehow?*

mzl

I use those patches too. I will try then on a scarf and see how it works. Thanks. Margaret

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I've never heard of these patches before and the flies drive us crazy. Thanks for the info. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!

I use this on my cat, who gets bitten by flies:

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/index.htm....htm~indexmain

it works well for dogs, too. I can get it at my vet.

mzl

Well, I tried a deerfly patch this morning. I did not have a scarf handy, so I used a small thin towel, which I attached to the collar. I then affixed the patch to the towel.

Overall it worked (6 flies got caught on the patch) but the dog kept shaking his head, thus moving the collar with the towel to the side or even ender his chin. I had to readjust the collar a few times. There were still some flies on his ears, but overall a lot less. I will buy a scarf today and see if it works better.

I still think that I need to dab something on his ears, as they are the most vulnerable.

Margaret

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

I was wandering the same thing the flies get my gang too. I was ready to try two things Skin so Soft by avon we used to put that on the horses. Or put vicks vapor rub on their ears. Again we used to do that for the horses. I have neither in hand but once I try them I can let you know.

mzl

Quote Originally Posted by 1scottie1labby
    I was wandering the same thing the flies get my gang too.* I was ready to try two things Skin so Soft by avon we used to put that on the horses. Or put vicks vapor rub on their ears. Again we used to do that for the horses. I have neither in hand but once I try them I can let you know.
    PLease do let me know how these things are working. I can see that you have black dogs. I read somewhere that deerflies are atracted to black shiny objects. It must be true because my red-colored dog is not as much affected as my black one.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I just got back from a week in deerfly territory. I used an all natural fly repellant on the girls, that is for horses. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, but it's in a black bottle with hot pink writing. It has eucalyptus, chamomile, cedar oils, citronella and a bunch of other all natural ingredients. It smells nice and not nice at the same time?? lol...

Anyways, it totally worked. Both dogs didn't have a problem with flies, deerflies, blackflies or mosquitos either.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

I spray Ranger's head with Cutter Skinsations, as well as my own. The flies do not bother Gunner. I'm just curious as to where you live. Our deer flies come Memorial Day weekend and leave by the 4th of July. We are in Northern Virginia. I am always happy to celebrate the 4th!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast