Warm weather advice

Thread: Warm weather advice

DefaultWarm weather advice

Hello, again!

We live in the midwest and this summer has been especially warm with no let up in sight. We took our 3 month old chocolate lab to the beach yesterday, and he seemed to do well. It was 100 degrees out however, and I think that he might have gotten overheated. He was in the shade when he wasn't in the water, which he absolutely loved by the way!!!! Do any of you have an good warm weather advice? Was it too hot to take Bailey hot? How can I keep him from getting overheated?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Warm weather advice

I live in AZ so I have lots of practical ideas. Here are a few...

Exercise early morning or late at night when it is cooler, not during the heat of the day regardless of the activity (even water based)
    Keep your dog off the hot pavement. It will burn their pads.
    Provide plenty of fresh drinking water and allow them to pace themselves during exercise (ie don't drag them on a 3 mile jog)
    Wet their head, stomach and feet to help them dissipate the heat.

Dani is offline Senior Member

go easy in whatever you do. We were in the pool all weekend, and we got out for fairly good length of breaks for the dogs to nap and rest...and for us to get some yard work done too.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with rottnlabs. 100 degrees is FAR too hot for exercise regardless of whether it is in the shade or swimming.

It been 90 degrees give or take here for a while now (VERY hot for this country!) and we exercise early in the morning (before 8:00am) and in the evening (after 8:00pm). I would never take them out during the day in this heat, even to swim. Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

I have a 7 month female chocolate lab "Izzy", and she looooooooooves the water!!!

We're in Connecticut, and this past weekend was very hot and humid, and today is currently at 95. What I've done for her is, i got a kiddie hard plastic pool for her and she honestly loves playing in there. I read a few postings along the way that talked about how the lab will just hangout in they're pool likely even just laying there...well, its true!! We too also make visits to the beach and I toss a tennis ball for her to fetch out of the water, or she even just likes romping alone and chasing the waves when she's not digging in the dirt....just like a little kid!! Oh and another treat for Izzy in the heat, I fill her water bowl with a bunch of ice-cubes in her water, she goes crazy for them. And when indoors...she gets air-conditioning!!

Good luck and enjoy your new addition.

~ Izzy's Mom

It sure is hot here in CT isnt it? Should break tonight though.

Funny, we bought a hard plastic kiddie pool too and so far, Dales not liking it much. Oh he likes it to drink....but not to play in just yet.

We also do the ice cube thing - he absolutely loves them. And he found the a/c vents -- so he plops himself down on the hardwood floor right in front of it......ahhh the life of a pup!!

Thanks for all the advice...Bailey also loves ice cubes in his water dish. He goes CRAZY. We also have a plastic pool for him that he loves to dive in and retrieve his rubber toys. Bailey was only out in the water for a short time then returned immediately to his kennel in the shade. We definitely won't take him out again like that probably. He's doing wonderfully now!

Ice cubes are great, plus, most labs love to play with them too!
    Wet tea towels are a great way of keeping them cool also. Wet the towel then spread it out over the dogs back or let the dog lay on it, and it will keep them nice and cool for a little while.
    I normally walk my dog during the day, but recently have had to cut out his afternoon walk and just give him a longer morning & evening walk as its just to hot for him in the afternoons.
    Also i keep all windows and doors open as much as possible so a breeze runs throughout the house so it stays a little cooler inside for Leo.