Ear problems...again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear problems...again.

DefaultEar problems...again.

I need help or advice.

Here's a quick history of Bosco's ear problems.

I have been to the vet with Bosco many times now because of his left ear. Bosco is almost 9 months old, but since I can remember he has had a problem with his left ear. Bosco has been on medications for an infection (can't remember the names of the medications), I clean his ear 3 times a week. Since he was 12 weeks old he has been on Nutro LB puppy Lamb and Rice, just in case he did have some sort of food allergy (wheat and corn). 2 months ago he was an medication for a infection, he seemed to work, but just a couple of days ago, the problem came back. Yesterday I bought Nutro dental care food, because he has plaque and tartar buildup. I do brush his teeth, but it doesn't seem to work. I needed something to help scrub his teeth clean and fight plaque and tartar buildup. I find with the puppy food, the kibbles or so small that he doesn't chew. So I'm gradually adding the food to his puppy food. Anyway, the dental food is lamb and rice aswell. Could this affect his ear? Okay..lol sorry it's getting long, now I'm just frustated, so I did my own research, now could he it be ear mites or an yeats infection instead of allergies. But wouldn't the vet know, I mean he has been to the vet many times already thsi year?

So the problem is in his left ear, there is a buildup of wax (brownish-reddish-blackish) almost like coffee grains at times.The past couple of days, it's been RED. He does not want me to touch it. He does scratch his ear sometimes, not all the time. I do have a hard time cleaning his ear properly because he won't let me.

Has anyone experienced something similiar to this with their dog? Anyone know whats going on? I'm frustated, I just wanna help my baby.

Thank you.

Jenn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ear problems...again.

Well I am not a vet, but my last lab ended up getting an ear infection and the vet told me it was yeast build up. Charlie actually went on 2 medications for his ears. I had to rub both in 3-4 times daily. Did you change the regular cleaning agent that you were cleaning his ear with? Maybe if you did he is having an allergic reaction to it? I wish that I could be of more help. You sound like you are doing everything you can for your baby!!! That is all you can do!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

You can take the pup off puppy food, adult food is fine for a 9 month old.

Has the vet given you meds other than cleaner for the ears like Otomax? I would probably just find a new vet for a second opinion on the ears. Dogs can have allergies to just about anything and maybe something in the current food is bothering him...some dogs can't eat lamb and rice...but I would ask the new vet first about other possible problems in the ears before switching the food.

9 months seems awfully young for tartar build up. I wouldn't put the dog on a dental formula kibble. I would let the dog have chew bones. It could also be the dogs teeth genetically. We don't brush ours, and our 5 year old and our 1 year old have WHITE teeth. Our 4 year old has some build up. She's also the one who's wearing her teeth down from balls.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So I brought Bosco to see a different vet today. He was awesome. He said it wasn't ear mites, but could be a yeast infection or bacterial infection. He gave me Canaural ear drops (Antibacterial, Antifungal, Anti-inflammatory). We'll see if that works, if not, could be allergies. I'll keep you guys updated. Thank guys!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

This sounds like what i was having happen with Shadow the first year we had her. It turned out to be allergies to wheat and possibly corn.

Aside from your pup's kibble, check every treat he gets. Unless they are labeled WHEAT FREE - they aren't! And yes, even that little bit of wheat can cause a reaction in a sensitive dog. :-[ I got a sample of "bacon" dog treats (Schmackos) in the mail and gave the two pieces to Shadow. The next day, she started shaking her head and scratching her ear so I dug the package out of the trash. Guess what the first ingredient listed was? WHEAT FLOUR! Crud, I knew better than to give her something without checking first. I felt like a bad mommy. Out came the ear cleaning rinse and the cream and I had it cleared up in three days. You have to be vigilant if your dog is sensitive to food items, most especially wheat, because it is in 90% of canine food products.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Have you tried labby's purple ear cleaner. A lot of people on here swear by the stuff even for yeast ear infections and you can make it yourself. Hopefully what your vet gave you this time will help if not maybe try a different food maybe a salmon based or something that is totally different.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Purple stuff works.
    ~Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    Have you tried labby's purple ear cleaner.* A lot of people on here swear by the stuff even for yeast ear infections and you can make it yourself.* Hopefully what your vet gave you this time will help if not maybe try a different food maybe a salmon based or something that is totally different.
    Where can I find the purple ear cleaner?

Thanks guys!

AmazonGold: What are some WHEAT-FREE treats you buy? I bought some treats from Natural Balance, he loves them!

I'll wait and see how the vet stuff works, if not, well i'm not sure yet...lol I'm switching Bosco to adult food soon, maybe i'll try Natural balance Potato and Duck, I'm just wondering if it's okay to feed him that, not really knowing if he does have allergies?

Newmommie06: here's the link for the ear purple stuff : http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

purple stuff is great...Sadie hates it though...hates the word EARS...so we have to spell it out around her ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast