drinks water and vomits

Thread: drinks water and vomits

Defaultdrinks water and vomits

Kiss is a year and a half choc lab he seems healthy plays and eats well but when he drinks water he will vomit a few minutes later. He loves ice cubes and I give them to him often. Does anyone know if this is normal thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: drinks water and vomits

Hmm, it definitely doesn't sound normal to me... does he drink the water really fast?

If this is an on going thing I wouldn't let him have a big bucket of water but a bowl half full. He may be just drinking too much at once. If this is something new and unusual keep an eye on him as it sometimes is the first sign of an obstruction.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BudGirl8 Guest

Billie did this a couple of times when I first got her here from Colorado. I took her to the vet and the vet said she was probably drinking too much too fast. Just to be safe I would take your pup in. It was good for my peace of mind. They'll probably ask you about how many times a day the dog is peeing, if the water intake has gone up significantly (they're looking for suggestions of endocrine system issues) and if it's just vomiting after water intake or if it's food as well.

If you've noticed the water intake going way up, and the dog has to pee a lot then I'd say it's time for a glucose test. But either way...a visit to the vet would be worth it just to check everything out.

My Shadow does that in the summer. After we take our walk he drinks a lot and then throws some of it back up because he drank too fast. I try to give him water frequently during our walks so he won't drink too fast at the end. It seems to work.

Thank you for all your thoughts on the matter. He does drink very fast. He seems healthy everywhere else. So I will take your advice little water through out the day he loves ice cubes And if it gets worse I will take him to the doctor. Thanks again!

How's he doing now?

Kiss is doing well thank you for asking...ice cubes and smaller amounts of water through out the day seems to do the trick.

One of my labs does the same thing. If he drinks cold water to fast he will vomit.