In season and very lazy...

Thread: In season and very lazy...

DefaultIn season and very lazy...

Lizzie, 9 months old is 2 weeks into her first season and has become very lazy. We havn't risked taking her out (there are far too many dogs around here) so have been excercising her in the garden. The last four or five days she can't be bothered, she is not ill or anything... she just keeps sighing and lying around chewing on her toys. I am hoping that this is just part of being on heat... I am guessing that she is fed up also as she really enjoys her walks and runs over the park... any advice would be very welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: In season and very lazy...

My girls both get kind of draggy when they are in heat. One of them gets very depressed acting throughout the whole heat. Your girl is probably just hormonal.

Thanks labsrme, thought this might be the case... not that much different to women with pms are they?? I keep saying to her "I know how you feel..."

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lizzie-May -

Were there any telltale signs right before she went into season? Dakota is 8 months and we are letting her go through one before spaying also... I would expect it anytime between now and the next couple months (I don't know if it is hereditary but their mom was about 8-9 months when she went into heat)

Anything I can be looking for? And how messy is it- do we need to buy doggy diapers??

Thanks

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Look for a swollen vulva, and when you wipe her with a white tissues, you get a brownish red smear. And YES YES YES, you will need doggy diapers. You will go through about a week where you'll have to change pads in the diaper about every 2 hr. and after every potty.

Grace seemed pretty stable with her moods during her heat. But we allowed her to play in the back yard and I took her on walks in the neighborhood. If you have her on leash, and the neighbors have their dogs confined, you're fine taking her for a walk.

What Cynlabs said... Lizzie seemed to be cleaning quite excessively just before and her vulva was swollen. We didn't use the diapers as I know Lizzie would have HATED them and it has been very hot here... I just made sure I wiped her alot and cleaned up any blood spots (luckily we have laminate flooring) she bled for two weeks (spots) now she has stopped. Her mum was 18 months when she had her first season.. we are having Lizzie spayed in october.