Sore spots on elbows

Thread: Sore spots on elbows

Charliesmom is offline Member

DefaultSore spots on elbows

I thought my dog had sore spots on his elbows from his crate. There is no padding on the floor b/c he eats it. I've been off work on holidays for 2 weeks now and his elbows aren't getting any better. The hair is thin and the skin underneath looks read and irritated. It feels bumpy as well. Any cream I try and put on is licked off. Should I be concerned?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sore spots on elbows

I'm not getting any responses here folks. Are the elbows okay or shave 'em and cream 'em. Seriously though. NO ONE has a dog with marks on their elbows? ??? ???

My boy Deacon has them - they are more like caluses (sp) than anything else - he likes to sleep on the floor, no mat or bed so I think thats ehy he has them. Bears a furniture do and does not. This is pretty normal as far as I'm concerened.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ellies Mom is offline Member

Ellie came to us with some hairless areas on her right elbow, and I noticed this week she's beginning to get the same thing on her left side.* She likes to lay on her side sometimes on our concrete patio next to the pool.* The vet said they are calluses and suggested try vaseline and vitamin E ointment, and or pad where she lays down.

I have not tried it yet, and I think she'll lick off ointments.* I was thinking of trying to find like some small cotton socks and cut the feet off (child size maybe).* Then maybe place the ointment on, and cover with the socks at night.* Sort of similar to what we'd use to soften feet, hands?* Will post if I go through with it.* Alice
    [img]

biscuit is offline Senior Member

Biscuit had the same things on his elbows last summer so I took him to the vet. He said that they were just the beginning of elbow callouses and not to worry about them. I know some people rub bag balm on them, but I wouldn't be too concerned unless they look like they're really bothering him.
    <br />Kristin &amp; Biscuit

Thanks everybody. Once again you all come through when I have a question or a need. I don't know what I would do without this board. A lot of vet bills I guess. I over-worry and need to hear that others are in the same boat.