Drooling, sneezing, smacking, licking

Thread: Drooling, sneezing, smacking, licking

DefaultDrooling, sneezing, smacking, licking

Can anyone provide any insight as to why my 5 year old yellow lab is smacking incessantly, drooling a pool, and licking continuously? This has happened before. I believed he was nauseous and took him to the vet where he was given IV fluids and anti-nausea medicine. It happened again a few months later and we did nothing but make it cooler in the house and give him water and ice. Both worked. Yesterday, he received a bath and a treat containing glucosamine and chondroitin. A few hours later, he began exhbiting the above symptons. That continued for several hours. He accepted ice and water. This morning, he ate, drank and went to the bathroom normally. Today, he was just fine. About the same time this evening, began exhibiting the same symptoms, but with sneezing. Does anyone happen to have any of the same experiences? If so, what did you do to help alleviate them and help your pet? What was the ultimate diagnosis?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

nausea was my first thought too
    more small meals? different food? talk to your vet about gravol?
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Did you just buy a new bag of food, or a different food, or were you reaching the end of a bag of food?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Could be an allergy. Did you recently change his food or treats?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Is it snowy still where you are? When Rhys plays in the cold, he exhibits all of those symptoms.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Did you recently have your dog to the vet for a vaccination?

We are in Texas so we've had some rain and change in temps but definitely not any snow. He also has not had any vaccinations recently. We are nearing the end of a bag of food. Are you just thinking maybe the food has gone bad?

Nick is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by buzzylou View Post
    Can anyone provide any insight as to why my 5 year old yellow lab is smacking incessantly, drooling a pool, and licking continuously? This has happened before. I believed he was nauseous and took him to the vet where he was given IV fluids and anti-nausea medicine. It happened again a few months later and we did nothing but make it cooler in the house and give him water and ice. Both worked. Yesterday, he received a bath and a treat containing glucosamine and chondroitin. A few hours later, he began exhbiting the above symptons. That continued for several hours. He accepted ice and water. This morning, he ate, drank and went to the bathroom normally. Today, he was just fine. About the same time this evening, began exhibiting the same symptoms, but with sneezing. Does anyone happen to have any of the same experiences? If so, what did you do to help alleviate them and help your pet? What was the ultimate diagnosis?
    I don't know, but Jes does the same thing. He will lick and lick and lick, not his leg or anything, but like you said, "smacking." Wherever he lays gets soaking wet from the saliva. He doesn't sneeze though. We've yet to find out why. He's always done it occasionally, and I always chalked it up to an upset stomach.

The vet was thinking maybe the food or reflux, as it seems to be getting worse and more frequent. We have changed food, but it hasn't helped. The common triggers tend to be exercise and/or food...both of which triggered my reflux when I suffered from it.

The next step is testing for reflux, which I assume is an endoscopy, like in humans. Usually drooling is a sign of nausea, pain, or an oral problem (something stuck in the mouth, lesions, etc.). All the obvious stuff has been tested. His bloodwork was normal, his mouth is clear, so the vet is leaning towards reflux.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Possibly the food has gone bad or stale. My youngest dog had three episodes of severe vomiting, and the only correlation was that each time I was nearing the end of a bag of food (Merrick's poultry). Switched foods and storage place, and haven't had a recurrence