broken toe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broken toe

cas

Defaultbroken toe

today I noticed that my dog was limping bad and her finger nail wasnt totally straight. after feeling her toe it appears to be broken. compared the right toe to the left. What does the vet do in these instances?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: broken toe

Henry's had two broken toes (one on his right front foot, and one in his right rear foot) in his 3 years of life, oh lah!!

Both times he had to be splinted for 4-6 weeks, and leash walks only. You have to be supervigilant that the splint does not get wet, not even a bit, otherwise the skin can get infected. Our vets fashioned a plastic bootie out of an old IV bag, which worked pretty good, but after a while, I just bought the weatherproof Muttluks to cover the splint. After the splint comes off, it's another week or two of leash walks and no crazy running around.

PM me if you have any more questions!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Maddy broke her pinkie toe on her back foot. What a pain in the butt. It barely bothered her at all. We ended up having the vets wrap it up real tight every 2 weeks with xrays every month to monitor healing. If it was a bigger bone, they considered putting in a pin, but she broke the tip, where the pinkie toe is the smallest. They even told us we could just leave it, and it would heal on it's own, but much slower.

Maddy's very active, so wrapping it up was key because it was hard to slow her down.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cas

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Maddy broke her pinkie toe on her back foot.* What a pain in the butt.* It barely bothered her at all.* We ended up having the vets wrap it up real tight every 2 weeks with xrays every month to monitor healing.* If it was a bigger bone, they considered putting in a pin, but she broke the tip, where the pinkie toe is the smallest.* They even told us we could just leave it, and it would heal on it's own, but much slower.*

Maddy's very active, so wrapping it up was key because it was hard to slow her down.*
    i hope they're able to wrap my dogs.* Im very worried about it.* Shes limping around and I help by carrying her

dogmom is offline Senior Member

I think what you are saying is your dogs toe nail is broken ( her finger nail wasnt totally straight). Generally if the nail is broken back deeply, they will sedate the dog, cut the nail back and bandage the foot for a week or so.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Let us know what happens. For Maddy, the broken toe did not slow her down one bit. She broke hers a week before our summer vacation and we went. We didn't even try to bandage it at first because we were vacationing at a river and she was wet all the time. She never reacted.

If it's the NAIL; however, that will probably be ALOT more sensitive.

cas

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Let us know what happens.* For Maddy, the broken toe did not slow her down one bit.* She broke hers a week before our summer vacation and we went.* We didn't even try to bandage it at first because we were vacationing at a river and she was wet all the time.* She never reacted.

If it's the NAIL; however, that will probably be ALOT more sensitive.
    she was running alittle fever

they first tested her for lyme disease. that was negative.

they squeezed her leg and said if it was broken she would've barked.

vet prescribed her amoxicillian, pain reliver and plenty of rest.

Today she seems a bit better.

poor pup! Hope she feels better soon!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

When Judy was just under a year old, she broke her front toe. The orthopedic vet did nothing; just told me to keep her from running or walking too much on it. After a few months, she was OK.

Hi, I am brand new to this site. I have a 5 yr old chocolate lab named Brigit. She is ridiculously active and I love her for it.

Well, I'm guessing she did something climbing out of the river the other day. She started limping Tuesday night and keeping weight off of the back leg. I felt around (thankful that I have always played with her feet!). It seems to be her pinkie toe. But it was not swollen. So she was still limping but walking. Not whining at all unless I distinctly put pressure on that one toe.

Today (Thursday) my bf calls me at work to tell me her toe is swollen. I've seen it for myself and it is really swollen. I called the vet and was told that if it is a broken toe there is nothing they can do, same if it is a bad bruise or sprain, though only isolated to her one digit.

I made sure I can give her the 1/2 tablet of Asprin a day for pain.

She's now licked her toe almost raw, so we put a loose sock on and taped it to stay (with plenty of circulation space, but so that it would not come off). I plan to use some anti-bacterial ointment and a lil gauze tonight and put on a clean sock.

I am worried. She has her yearly appointment next Friday, but I am just worried. She is very active and I am trying to keep her still (though she is laying down alot).

I'm not sure what to do. I am not the type of person to freak out over every little thing and she does not go to the vet past her yearly appointments.

I know what the vet said, but does anyone have any advice?

It is very swollen, though only the one toe.

How long do I keep her inactive (which will kill her!) and what else can I do for her at home?

Thanks for all of your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast