PLEASE HELP. MY Lab has Allergies!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP. MY Lab has Allergies!

DefaultPLEASE HELP. MY Lab has Allergies!

My lab Marley is 10 months old and has been showing signs of allergies for a couple months now.* I took Marley to the vet a month ago because he got a secondary infection on his belly from scratching so much.* The vet gave him an injection to give him instant relief and put him on a couple more prescriptions.* We thought he just had an allergy to fleas, but he is still itching and now has another infection on his belly!*

I don't know what to do, does anyone have ANY suggestions?* I have taken him to the vet so many times.. and it is costing me an arm and leg each time.*

Any suggestions would help me so much!

Thanks,

Marley's Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: PLEASE HELP. MY Lab has Allergies!

It sounds like you guy has a staph infection on his belly. Also, is your dog on a flea treatment?

I don't have any suggestions but I can definitely sympathize as we are going through some possible allergy issues ourselves. I hope you find a solution soon! I completely understand cost issue...we have spent $1500 in the last 3 weeks on our pup's visits between the animal emergency and the regular vet.

Good luck and let us know if you figure anything out!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I imgaine you have gone through things like food to make sure you aren't feeding the common allergens like wheat, soy and corn....making sure you aren't feeding any treats with that in it. My sister in laws lab can only eat Wellness fish and sweet potatos and NO treats other than the Wellness Fish/s. potato treats. The dog can't have rawhide or pigs ears....

kassabella is offline Senior Member

when I read this I was going to say food as well. Ernie is 4 and last year his itching became so bad there wasn't a second he wasn't itching, and his coat became very dull. After lots of vet bills I took him off dry food.
    Within a month he had stopped itching and his coat is amazing again.
    You could try this just to see what happens. It is a pain to feed fresh. Sometimes I have been lazy and given him dry food and after 2-3 days he is itching again.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Trickster is offline Senior Member

One of mine has allergies and scratches non-stop if nothing is done about it.

Recently (4-5 weeks ago) I switched him to a holistic brand of food called Burns from ProPlan. I have tried other holistic brands and none have agreed with him --some actually made the scratching worse. So far, this Burns food appears to be working and the scratching has, for the most part, stopped. I am also beginning to supplement with a lot of raw. I would love to make the full switch with all my dogs but can't right now so supplementing with the high quality kibble is the best I can do. I am feeding raw meaty bones, chicken backs, whole rabbits, livers, wings etc. etc.

What are you feeding your dog? perhaps a diet check is in order?

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

If this continues to be an issue, you might consider allergy testing. My dog, who constantly had skin infections and lost hair, turned out to be allergic to over 20 things, including cotton and grass. We now use a combination of allergy injections and benadryl and, while she is a little itchy, it is NOTHING like what we were going through before.

We also have her on a no corn/wheat/soy food, just in case. The vet said she didn't think it was food allergies, but contact allergies instead, but suggested that since is is easy enough to limit those three ingredients, it would just be better to do so.

I can try to answer any questions you might have about this, based on my experience with Aly, if it would be helpful.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Momma to J and A do you give these injections and benadryl year round or only during certain seasons?

I just ordered Nupro for Dakota at carealotpets.com - it claims to have some ingredients that help with allergies and itchiness...

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

The food allergies were the first thing we tried to rule out. Then moved on to environmental. We use Proplan sensitive skin and stomach as a food, because it has no corn or wheat, and uses salmon as a main ingredient. We still use that food but have ruled out that "our allergies" are environmental- mostly in the fall though. We give her benadryl (a low dose) during those times when she is itchy and it works really well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast