Osteochondritis Dessicans (OCD) & Labs

Thread: Osteochondritis Dessicans (OCD) & Labs

DakotasMom Guest

DefaultOsteochondritis Dessicans (OCD) & Labs

Cheyenne was diagnosed with OCD a few days ago and since then I have been devouring all the information I can on the topic: the disease, statistics, causes, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of OCD. With all this information, I decided to write another article in the hopes that it will help prevent other Labs and their owners from having to go through this disease. I know that some things are out of our control but I think every Lab owner should be informed about this disease and how to detect the early warning signs.

Labrador Retriever Osteochondritis Dessicans (OCD)

I would greatly appreciate it if you all can take the time to read it and comment back. You know how much I respect your opinions.*

~Shannon
    http://www.8pawsup.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Osteochondritis Dessicans (OCD) & Labs

this is great that you pulled all this together! I'm sorry to hear of her diagnosis and hope everything is ok!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Cheyenne. How is she doing? The article is very imformative, thank you for the information.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I think that is a very nice overview! Good job!

The only thing I really noticed was that in the signs section, "bare weight" should read "bear weight" instead.

Thanks for doing that! I think if each and every person here could get together and write articles on their particular dog's maladies, we'd have a great little resource book for lab health problems. You may have just started a trend there!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

I would say that OCD is thought to be a hereditary disease. We know in the shoulder it happens to bigger dogs and males more often. I look at it as bigger dogs are more prone to it. Two of the most common places it happens are multiple dogs running and bumping shoulders and the other is by getting out of high trucks and SUV's or off couches. Always help your dog by supporting them when they are young and growing.

DakotasMom Guest

Thank you all for your wonderful feedback! I have made the necessary changes and hope this article helps other Lab owners to be more familiar with the disease. I had never head of it until Cheyenne was diagnosed on Friday. Since then she has been resting (as much as we can get her to rest - even if we have to crate her), and she has been on supplements and medication. Hopefully, it will repair itself within 2 weeks or the vet said we may have to look at surgery. It is a very very mild form so there is still hope.

~Shannon
    http://www.8pawsup.com

Shannon,

I don't post much but I read often. Your article is great, I wish it had been there when my Lucy was diagnosed. She was diagnosed at 9 months with sever OCD in both stifles. She already had severe arthritus set in and our otions were pain management until she went totally lame or surgery. We opted for the surgery she went in on her 1st birthday. We did both knees at once and her recovery has been remarkable. She is still stiff sometimes , due to the onset arthritus, but is not on any pain meds and does not limp at all.

If your interested in any more info, just let me know.

Good Luck

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Shannon, I posted some suggestions to your article in the post you left on Labrador Retriever Club of Utah forum. Hope they help.

Paola is offline Senior Member

Nice overview.
    A couple of things to avoid, besides those listed - stairs for pups, jumping in and out of trucks or SUVs that FLL already mentioned.

As far as treatments go - besides the traditional NSAID's etc - I'd mention using supplements and Adequan.