Please help! constant diaherea & fur problems...

Thread: Please help! constant diaherea & fur problems...

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlease help! constant diaherea & fur problems...

I need help... I'm so frustrated. My 10 month old choc lab Saba is sick so often. Quick background - he has been having issues with his skin and coat for the past 2 months. He was loosing a lot of his fur in chunks, his skin got flaky and the fur on his back is almost .. greasy. Plus on his sides his fur has a lot of discolouration - looks like I have him blond highlights! To top it all off, lately he's contantly having diaherea. We went to the vet a number of times and they run a bunch of tests - everything is normal, no parasites, no worms, no bacterias. Now we are waiting for test results on his skin & fur for fungal coultures but we wont' have the results for another 2 weeks or so. His diaherea seems to be usually at night. I'm pretty much up every 2 hours to let him out and what comes out is the consitency of water - no just mushy - pure WATER. I'm exhausted and I know so is he. Besides that, he has his good attitude, he's energetic, eats and sleeps and drinks well. He's on Eukaneba for large breed puppies and has been for months - never had real problems. Last Friday the vet gave him acute care - this paste to reset his g-trac and the first few poops were solid. 2 days later - back to watery poop. I don't know what else to do... I've tried pumpkin, I've tried yogurt, rice etc. And it seems the vet can't find anything wrong with him at this point. Is the fur/skin issue related to his diaherea? Or are they 2 different issues. I really need some advice, anyone else having the same problems? I noticed that this time he got his diahera after I took him swimming in a lake (Guelph Lake - in Guelph Ontario). I heard there might be some bacteria in that water... So many possibilities.. Any advice appreciated. I'm just so tired and I feel so bad for my poor puppy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Please help! constant diaherea & fur problems...

I'm so sorry - I completely sympathize with you and having the pup that "always seems to have somehintg wrong",,, could it possibly be an allergy?

I'm sorry I'm not more help- hope you get it figured out soon! For now I'd add unflavored pedialyte to his water so he isn't getting dehydrated.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Thanks.. what is it and where can I get it? I hope it will help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Pedialyte? it is something people give to kids when the have vomiting diarrhea to resotre the electrolytes they are losing... it comes in lots of flavors but I would go with unflavored - it loos like water... you can buy it in the aisle with baby food or ask someone at the grocery store if it's not there.

Chances are he has Giardia. Can be very hard to detect. I don't see why your vet won't treat for that. Maybe get a second opinion from another vet.

It sounds like he has Giardia which is difficult for the vet to find and can be difficult to get rid of when they go into contaminated water which can be anywhere. Chocolates look terrible when they blow coat the first year. I would get him on some fish oil or good coat supplement and good probiotics after a Giardia treatment.