Jake had another seizure

Thread: Jake had another seizure

DefaultJake had another seizure

It happened this morning. He was getting off the bed and I thought he just slipped on the floor. I looked over to see if he was OK and then I realized he was having a seizure. He had one a little over 2 years ago but I didn't witness it. It was very scary. His legs were twitching and his tounge was swollen and a chaulky purple color; his pupils were dialated and he peed and pooped. We're keeping a close eye on him but I'm so worried that he might have something wrong with him. He's not even 4 years old. The last time it happened we took him to the vet but they didn't seem very concerned about it. He said if it happened again to bring him in and they would run some tests but I don't know if he meant 2 years later or not. Anyone have a similar experience with their lab?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jake had another seizure

My suggestion would be to go ahead and have labwork run to rule out internal causes such as live problems, but more than likely it is a form of epilepsy. If he continues to go that far between seizures, I personally wouldn't think about putting him on meds. Afterall, it would be hard to tell if they were working or not with that much time between seizures, and they do have some potentially major side effects.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

No experience...just wanted to say that I hope Jake will be ok.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

When Emma was about 4 years she got a seizure, I was devastated! I called the vet, crying, and she thought that it was epilepsy and said that it looks worse than it is...After the seizure she was fine, but after a while she got another seizure, 2 weeks later i think, then after about 6 month again, I suppose she had about 5 seizures in 1 1/2 year, But that was it...I don´t know what that was but she never have had them again! Thank God! Personly I think her seizures depended on her hormones. Her seizures always came about a month before she was going to heat! She never needed medication for that seizures, they just stopped! I hope that it turn out just as well for your boy!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Your description was of a grand mal seizure (as opposed to a petit mal) and of course it's worth calling the vet again and asking his opinion but two years betwen seizures is a long time. I've heard that if there is a seizure disorder (epilepsy) another seizure is likely to occur within 2 weeks and that's when meds need to be looked into. I hope Jake is okay and that it doesn't recur.

Thanks everyone. I'm happy to report that Jake is feeling better. He was a little nervous all day yesterday but he's back to himself today. We're starting to relax too

Our first lab had epilepsy and it was easily treated with Phenobarbital. We adopted him from a shelter and didn't have any background information on him so once he had his first seizure we took him to the vet and they did a bunch of tests. He would have a seizure any time his routine was altered....if we went out of town for example.
    Good luck - let me know if you have any more questions.
    Meg

Lena - Black Dog BOSS DOG - 16 yrs
    Sunnie - Yellow DOG high maintenance - turns 15 on 10/04/11
    Shelby - Yellow dog cute as a button - 5 ish

I think her seizures depended on her hormones. Her seizures always came about a month before she was going to heat! She never needed medication for that seizures, they just stopped!
    There is such a thing. I had a dog like that and the cure was spaying.