Red feet on yellow lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red feet on yellow lab

Charliesmom is offline Member

DefaultRed feet on yellow lab

Hi,
    Charlie eats Food 4 Life, an organic and raw animal and veg food b/c he gets diarrhea or ucky ears with other foods. Unfortunately it's $5 a pound (Cdn.) so with each meal I give 1 cup instead of 1.5 cups and give him a little little kibble. I buy the smallest bags and am constantly rotating. He usually does best on lamb and rice stuff.
    Last week he started chewing his front feet and when I look at them they are red underneath in the webbing and deep into the paw. I am on my 3rd type of kibble (the latest is an all-natural recommended at the pet store). It is supposed to be good for dogs w allergies. I just started it yesterday so he has had 2 meals with it.He is not chewing anymore but has a similar redness on the bottom lip on side of jaw. If there is no improvement tomorrow I guess I'll just use the food for life and see if that clears it up. How long should you give something like that to improve? Should I be washing them? (I'm in a wrist cast so have avoided that so far but can put dish washing gloves on and do it). Pls. help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Red feet on yellow lab

I think I would be trying to keep them dry. BTW, has he been tested for thyroid problems? I have an old one who has had all those symptoms in the past. She is now on thyroid supplementation. While it has not completely controlled all the problems, she is much better.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. No, his thyroid hasn't been checked. He'll be 20 mos on the 17th. He eats a lot but is still very slim. The vet likes him really slim (ribs showing), 71 lbs. He looks healthy in terms of eyes, soft coat, etc. He is hungry all the time and has recently become aggresssive with his food dish with my father. He's a lab so he's always been continuously hungry. The idea that he is so thin despite me feeding him more than the vet said plus his recent aggressiveness with his dish is making me wonder.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Well. Usually a dog with HYPOthyroidism will become overweight, so maybe that's not the problem. Is he going out in the mornings when there's dew on the grass???? Sometimes that can cause some irritation on the feet.

I don't care what your vet says - a lab should NOT have his ribs showing!! You should be able to feel his ribs when pressing gently but not see them. As to food - it usually takes about a month before you can tell if the food makes a difference. Is he someplace where it is damp - sometimes that causes red feet. He also may have environmental allergies - wipe his paws off before he comes inside and as long as he doesn't lick it off - try some Gold Bond medicated powder on them.

Post a picture of him - side and birds eye view.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I have one here that gets itchy red feet, tried the Gold Bond didn't work. I put Listerine (the brown stuff) on a cotton ball and wipe the feet down. The redness is going away and a lot less itchy.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Hi,
    I have been wondering about possible chemical sprays on lawns. I live in a condo and don't have control over spraying on my lawn. I don't let him go on the lawn after it's been sprayed, I wait several days. I also don't let him go on any lawns while we're walking that have a pesdicide sign on them.
    He's not biting his feet. I'll try the listerine thing. I think I have Scope so I'll have to go get Listerine. I know peroxide will make him sick. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it. It's ironic since I'm struggling with my allergies right now too!

I have to agree...seeing the ribs isn't what you want. he's too thin if you can see his ribs. They should be easy to feel but not see.

Poor thing..hope you figure out what's the deal with his feet.

As for the kibble your'e feeding...any of it have beef, corn, soy, wheat, yeast or dairy products in it? I have a lab that goes icth crazy if he eats anything with those items in it.

When we switched Oona's food this spring the vet said that it would take two months to see a difference.
    Olie

I had a chocolate foster last year who had a yeast infection on her skin and also her feet were infected the same as you're describing with your yellow lab. (She came into foster care with a massive yeast ear infection which took a month of meds to cure.) Anyhow, the vet gave me special feet wipes to wash between her toes to get rid of the yeast on her feet and shampoo for the rest of her body.

That has been my experience with labs and itchy feet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast