Back to mushy poop :(
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to mushy poop :(

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultBack to mushy poop :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finished giving the medication to Buck for what the doctor suspected could be Giardia...by the time the medication was done his poop had firmed up. For a week after that it was ok. Now we are back to mushy poop. The doctor was not sure if it was giardia or his food. So he treated for the Giardia and asked me to feed him prescription food for the course of the medication which was for about a week. He eats solidgold puppy food in the morning and I feed him chicken and rice and veges made at home at night. I started the rice and chicken about three days ago in hopes that maybe I will see some change in the consistency of his poop. Only change I noticed is that he no longer potties in the am and only potties at 4pm. But he makes more than one stop to potty and it starts out some what firm then he moves to a new spot and then by the end is kinda runny.
    I don't want to run to the vet again just yet. Has anyone experienced this?
    Oh I have to add I switched him from Purina Puppy chow to solidgold few months back and ever since he has been on the solidgold he has had kinda soft stool but only in the last month or so has the runny situation started.
    Should I try to feed him a new dog food? what should I do? any suggestions?

I changed from the puppy chow because he was having chronic ear infections, more than normal shedding, flakey skin, and dull coat. All this improved as soon as the food was switched over but then came the poop problem.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Back to mushy poop :(

Sometimes they needed to be treated with 2 cycles of medication to clear Giardia. Also, Solid Gold is a richer food ad more calories than Purina, try feeding less.

he only get 2 cups of it all day..1 in the morning and 1 in the evening...he weighs 51lbs and is in good shape..not fat not skinny either...should I cut back from 2 cups? 2 cups doesnt seem tooo much for a 6 month old 51lb labby does it? well couldnt hurt to cut back a little and see how it goes...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Proper giardia treatment is 7 days of panacur, followed by 7 days off of panacur, followed by another 5 days.

Anything less will not clear it up. Ask Ender's Mom.

Laura

hehe yeah I remember reading that post by ender's mom. I am calling the vet monday and requesting pancur. They gave me the other stuff and obviously did nothing.
    The poop issue really needs to be fixed. It's just no fun picking up very soft stool...not that picking up any other kind of stool is fun...but you guys know what I mean

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Sounds like what they gave you is Flagy//metronidazole, which is ineffective against Giardia.

Why would you state that Flagyl is ineffective? It is effective, just not 100% of the time.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Rider was treated with SMZ--TMP both times for giardia. 10 days of pills. Worked fine.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by gerst001
    Why would you state that Flagyl is ineffective?* It is effective, just not 100% of the time.*
    I said it's ineffective because the definition of ineffective is not producing an intended effect. Also, too many people on this board have had their pets treated with Flagyl and not have it work, go back and ask their vet for Panacur, and the Giardia clears up.

LINKY

There are also other studies out there stating that Flagyl is about 40% effective on Giardia. IMO, no good enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast