Vet not much help!

Thread: Vet not much help!

DefaultVet not much help!

I used to participate in this forum back when my Dave was firstborn but then got busy... but he is having some issues with his health and I remember how helpful everyone was here when I was first training myself to raise a lab so I am hoping for some more advice.

I just got in from the vet. Dave is about 2 1/2 years old with no health complications so far. But the last few days he has been sleepier than normal and not as energetic. He also has been urinating more frequently than normal and has seemed much more urgent when he has to go. Yesterday I noticed that he was salivating heavily when he needed to go outside to the bathroom which was abnormal. This morning he pooped outside twice and his stool was very soft and the third time he did not make it outside which NEVER happens with my lil man. He was drooling all over the house and when his body started quivering and shaking I got scared and took him in. The vet did fecal analysis, urine analysis and did blood work as well. He said everything came back normal except for elevated protein in his urine. He also said his urine was concentrated which meant nothing to me. He gave me worming meds (despite the fact that he does not have worms?) that I am supposed to give him via a syringe into his mouth for 3 days. Well, I tried that tonight and just made a huge mess all over the place. At least I know the tile floor in my kitchen will not have worms! And he also put Dave on two antibiotics and said he was going to treat him for a urinary tract infection?

I left feeling worried, stressed, and uncertain about his diagnosis. He threw in some other possible problems like Addison's Disease and Diabetes and said to monitor how much he eats (easy) and drinks (little harder) for the next few days and bring him back in Saturday. Dave has seemed normal since we arrived home, has pooped no more, ate and walked outside with me for a little while. Right now he is snoozing on the sofa beside me which is normal!

Sorry to post such a long one but I am hoping for someone out there who can give me some advice so that I might be able to sleep tonight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vet not much help!

I hope he is feeling better by now. I don't know of course, not being there, and not being a vet - but it sounds like he's just being treated kind of generically with the hope that he will get better. Can't figure on the worming thing, and if he has some sort of infection the ATB's will help - but keep a very close eye on him and be ready to take further action if he gets worse. Do you have another vet to try if this one doen't seem to know what to do?

Thanks for responding. I had to take him to a different doctor because my vet was busy - same office but different dr. I guess the only thing I can do is watch him and keep giving him these meds - but I am just nervous. He started some terrible choking sounds a little while ago that lasted for a long time and it really scared me. But then they went away and now he is snoring next to me!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry I have no advice.

But, if you are uncomfortable with the diagnosis, call back and make sure you speak to someone who will explain everything til you are satisfied and understand everything. Then decide whether you want a second opinion. I hope Dave is ok. Sending good thoughts.

Thank you. Your yellow lab is beautiful - one day I want a rainbow - a chocolate boy and a yellow girl for my black boy to play with!

Kathryn Guest

I hope your guy feels better soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by davesmom
    - one day I want a rainbow -
    We have always wanted to have the 3! I just a few months ago got my black lab, Dakota. In 2 years we are talking about getting a yellow!

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear about Dave. Hope he will be OK. If the vet said his urine was concentrated, it wouldn't be Addison's disease. Keep us updated.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Where are you located?

For questions like these, I MUCH prefer using the diagnostic power of a Coll/Schll VetMed.
    Do you have one within driving range?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Bob Pr... I am not sure what you mean.
    I live in Georgia - Rock Springs area to be exact. Please feel free to elaborate on any advice!