Allergic to bees?

Thread: Allergic to bees?

DefaultAllergic to bees?

So today at lunch we found a hole our angel had dug that was pretty deep and angled under gorund- there were wasps or bees flying in and out of it so think they may have built a nest in there... obviously we are going to fill the holes... but thinking she either stuck her nose down in there when she heard the buzzing or ate one and maybe that is why we've had chronic facial swelling for the last week!

Since she was swollen wednesday and then gone with benadryl, and then much worse swollen sunday, I'm thinking maybe she got stung twice and since they were so close together and allergies get worse over time, she reacted more dramatically... and then with everything thing else this poor pup is going through- coccidia, and vaginitis- maybe her immune system is so low that is taking her longer to fight the toxins out??

Does this make sense to anyone else? This is my best guess at this point ... the vet is having us giver benadryl through the weekend and then next week we will see if she swells up again when she stops taking it or not...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Allergic to bees?

She probably had multiple stings and 1 bendryl is like throwing a thimble of water on a bonfire. I wouldn't focus too much on the other things because any dog can get coccidia and vaginitis is just a puppy thing. Just keep giving her the Bendryl-it won't hurt her.

I guess I would think if she'd been stung multiple times though she would have some markings or punctures- we examined her snout and head very thoroughly and didn't see anything but puffiness...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

all the yellow labs i have had were severley allergic to bees and got very bumpy immediately,had to have iv steroids within a half hour of being stung.benedryl isnt enough,,next sting could be fatal if not treated by vet immediatly!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Hudler was stung by a bee twice in his life. Or at least we assume it was a bee since he is infamous for poking things with his nose. His face immediately swelled up with hives and he started itching really bad. We gave him the benedryl dose for his side and then took him to emergency for a steroid shot. After that, it went away.

Charliesmom is offline Member

Hi
    My yellow lab too seems to be allergic to bees. He was stung once in the foot and was drooling and couldn't get up. Immediate trip to the vet. He is also allergic to black flies and mosquitoes. He swells and benadryl seems to handle those.

interesting...we also have a lot of mosquitos and flies this time of year...