Coccidia?

Thread: Coccidia?

DefaultCoccidia?

Our poor pup can't get a break- turns our her diarrhea is cause by coccidia - more meds for 20 days, retest in 30... still no understanding of facial swelling- giving her benadryl every 8 hours for another week...

Anyone know much about coccidia?? I know it's a parasite they can get form poo... and it has a 14 day incubation period- which would have had her to the day at the vet of all places... I guess our trainer has one other client who came down with it and goes to our vet also...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Coccidia?

Tucker had coccidia last year, when he was about 6-7 mos. old. Terrible diarrhea, poor guy.

He was on meds too, plus hamburger/rice diet for a time.

The vet said it's not uncommon, and with Tucker, he's in the fields a lot, eating poop at times; that's what caused it.

Jes had it as a pup, too. I think it was about 20 days worth of Albon, testing (revealed a little bit of coccidia remaining) and another 20 days of Albon before he was finally "cured." Some of the southern strains of coccidia are getting really nasty to treat. The probiotics helped his stomach through all the medication. At one point, he had diarrhea because of the parasite, and then when the medicine helped, he developed diarrhea because of the medicine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

what kind of probiotic did you use? I need to do osmething to help this pup out - she seems susceptible to everything right now...

Some people use yogurt, but I used what my vet gave me which was Probiocin. It's a bit more concentrated than yogurt, and since he was a pup, I didn't want to use a lot of it due to the calcium. Plus, dairy products can negatively affect the effectiveness of antibiotics.

My vet gave me a few free tubes, but I think it's pretty cheap even if they don't give it away. That's the only one I'm familiar with, but I'm pretty sure a lot of pet stores sell various types. The probiocin had a little dosing device built right into the tube, so you just set it, squirt the gel in their mouth and that's it.

Thanks for the info- I'll look into that!

labby is offline Senior Member

Fastrack is another great probiotic.

http://www.mooreagrisales.com/dogs/dogs.html

Laura

Baxter had coccidia at 7weeks and was on Albon for 10 days. The medicine smelt like bananas and he thought it was a daily treat. The vet wants two clean stool samples. Baxter has passed the first one so we will see in 3 weeks for the second. The vet said it is not uncommon in puppies. It is possible to become reinfected though.