UPDATE - Puppy's face STILL swelling!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE - Puppy's face STILL swelling!

DefaultUPDATE - Puppy's face STILL swelling!

Update... we were supposed to stop giving benadryl today but when I went home at lunch form work to check on her her lips and jowels and around her eyes were still looking puffy... It was time for another dose if she were to get one, so I called the vet to ask what to do... I didn't want to not give her any and have her keep puffing up again while I was at work...

The vet said to give her benadryl for another 48 hours!! I feel like they don't really know what they are doing- they have no clue what's going on and since benadryl is atleast keeping it at bay, they are just telling me to keep giving it to her... but she can't live on ebnadryl!! I'm very frustrated - it's been almost 2 weeks for this poor girl since initial swelling and on benadryl!

I thought I had it figured out when we found the wasp nest, but 2 weeks seems like a LONG time for that to stay in her system!!

I'm wondering if I need to get another vet's opinion...but then that means starting form square one and we are really getting tight financially with lal of this!

Anyone have any advice?? I'm so frustrated and feel so bad for her!! I want to do everything I can to help her but I don't know what that is and neither does the vet apparently... All I can do is cry when I look at her sweet swollen face!!

Thanks!

The swelling started Wednesday for an unkown reason... possibly an insect bite (although we never saw a stinger or puncture area)? We gave her one Benadryl Weds and she was fine until Saturday night- seemed itchy Saturday evening but nothing else...woke up Sunday morning and entire face and eyes swollen terribly... took her to the emergency vet and got benardryl injections and have been giving one tab benadryl every 8 hours per their advise - the last dose was suposed to be last night- but this morning she is starting to puff up again!! I called the emergency vet since ours is closed for holiday and they said to continue the benadryl until we can call our vet tomorrow...

This is crazy -* will she ever stop swelling!! It's mainly around her jowels and end of snout and a little around her eyes today... poor girl!! My husband is getting frustrated with me too because we are going to some friends' today and she is staying home - and I'm worried about leaving her too long...guess that's the difference between moms and dads ?!?!

She also has some light tan diarrhea... not sure if it's form the medication or just the stress on her system or related at all...

I don't know if there's something more the vet can do or just continue benadryl indefinitely until is stops... we are supposed to go out of town next weekend for our anniversary and my brother is watching her but now I'm wondering if we should go at all...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy's face still swelling!

If she's still having problems tomorrow, take her in to your veterinarian. They may want to give her some steroids to stop the problem. Poor girl. She's bound to be miserable, especially with this going on so long.

ya, I'm definitely calling them tomorrow... the emergency vet mentioned steroids, but did not want to give them to her since she is so young (almost 8 months) - but maybe that's the thing that will help...I'll see what our vet says - thanks for the reply!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

A year ago, I took Samson to a new park and about an hour after we came home his whole face was swollen. I rushed him to the vet and he got a shot. The swelling went down right away. I think there was some sort of plant that he sniffed that did it because it never happened again. (We didn't go to that park again)

You may want to look at the stuff growing where she walks to see if she could be allergic to the plants there, or just bring her somewhere else.

Since this has happened and the swelling has not gone down- we have been very careful with where she goes- poor thing even gets watched when she goes out to go potty in the backyard right now... She has had two injections and benadryl for 4 days now and still puffing up... I'm going to call our vet today and see what they suggest - I feel so bad for her!

I'm glad Samson's was a one time occurrence- I hope once we get her's figured out it does not reoccur as well. Our trainer made a point that she could have sniffed up some ants or something - who knows though.

Thanks!

i would also suggest washing her bedding, anything she lays on, the recurring swelling must be caused by something she's coming into contact with a lot! have you used any carpet cleaners, new cleanersd or air freshners of any kind lately? or she could have developed an allergy. be a detective!

we have no used anything new...but good point- I will definitely wash her bedding - can't hurt!

Thanks!

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Has the swelling gone down yet? did you find a cause?
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

We had the same situation occur with Ranger when we were on vacation this past week. The entire side of his face swelled. We could only guess that it was from something (an insect) in the condo. When we were outside he did not act like he had be bitten. We took him to the vet in Myrtle Beach. His entire throat area was swollen along with the side of his face. She aspirated the area and found some white blood cells, which she explained was the start of fighting an infection. So, he got high level antibiotic (Baytril) and he is on Benadryl (75mg) every 12 hours. The next day his entire face was swollen, especially the jowl area and there was a golf-ball sized hard area under his ear. He was very lethargic. We were very nervous, especially since she advised us not to leave him alone for the next 24 hours in case he stopped breathing! After the second day things started looking better. Now, 5 days later, he has a golf-ball sized area under his ear (which we assume was the bite area). The good thing is the medicine did not make him the least bit sick and he kept his appetite the entire time. You may want to ask the vet if you can supplement the bendaryl for a longer period of time. I think that has kept Ranger from scratching as well.

We have not found the cause- although I did find a bee hive or wasps nest in one of the holes she dug in the backyard so suppose she could have stuck her head in there and gotten a surprise... although she never yelped or seemed in pain or anything and we never found stingers,,,

the vet is having us give her benadryl through tomorrow and then we stop giving it and see if she starts swelling again- (I'm very nervous for this part!!) They said if she does, we may need to use steroids which they have been trying to avoid due to her age and other health issues right now.

I haven't found any areas that seem to be the point of a bite or anything but one side does seem to puff a little more than the other...

We are in the waiting game and hoping, praying (fingers crossed!!) that after her last dose of benadryl tomorrow she won't puff up again!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast