Another example of Puff's self regulation of food intake

Thread: Another example of Puff's self regulation of food intake

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother example of Puff's self regulation of food intake

Last night, before feeding Puff her usual dinner (a small Bacon-sized slice of frozen salmon cooked in 3/4 cup water then minced and 1.25 cups of Kirkland C&R added to that) I spent some time cutting up a large rotisseried chicken I'd bought at COSTCO. Its aroma attracted Puff's attention and she hovered nearby offering to help.

There was some chicken skin which I didn't t want to eat plus the rump and neck.* I let Puff take care of those three parts and she did so promptly and efficiently.

After I finished cutting the chicken up and putting those individual bags in the freezer, I served Puff her dinner.

Puff left about a third to 3/8ths of her supper still uneaten.* I thought, possibly approximately equal in kcals to what she'd eaten I left it there thinking she might come back to it.

Nope.

It was still there this morning so I tossed it out.

Then, this morning's meal (1 1/4 cup) is doled out a bite at a time (NILIF) when she retrieves on our morning's walk. When we get home, Puff picks up the paper, brings it in, and then receives the rest of her morning allotment (total = 1.25 cups).

BUT, this afternoon, at 3:50P, there's .25 - .375 cup of her morning kibble STILL uneaten.

GOOD Puff! Apparently, the first skimping on food intake wasn't enough -- a second was required?

Just goes to prove once again that every Lab (or dog) is unique and each one has some special, rare qualities to treasure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Puff:* YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01, very light double coat, very little shedding

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

FYI: about 2 years ago, on one of our many preceding versions of JL forums, I ran a poll on self-regulating Labs (food intake). Over 80 people responded and, of those, about 10-12% had Labs that governed and self-regulated the amount of food they ate. 80% had Labs that were uncontrolled in their food intake. About 10-15% were intermediate.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Another example of Puff's self regulation of food intake

Oh I wish this were the case at my house. Both my labs would eat until they blew up! All food is kept up, tightly sealed and preferably out of sight. We have them trained to not pick up food that drops (well, most of the time) nor do they take food from your plate. They will take food from you hand but only when offered (again, most of the time). I am working on better manners and do see a difference. It is interesting to me how some dogs will self regulate food intake and others are obsessed with food - just like humans.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

My Aly would eat all day if I would permit her to do so. I can't tell with Tatum, yet, because she is still nervous about food. I can't determine Jacob's tendency to overeat, because I couldn't possibly leave food out for him. Aly would eat it in a heartbeat!

I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ohenry is offline Senior Member

Boy, I wish Henry would so that. He is food obsessed.

This was a real concern for me when we adopted Haley. She will sometimes eat and sometimes go all day without eating any food. She gets plenty of exercise and play time and drinks water often but when it comes to food she just isn't all that interested. I've tried several types of premium food so that ruled out she didn't like the food we were feeding her. She just simply eats when she is hungry. At least I don't have to worry about her weight but still odd if you ask me.

My Dave has always been a slow eater when it comes to his food - regardless of brand. I honestly think he self regulates his food as well. He eats until he feels full and then stops and won't touch the rest. Right now he eats Diamond L&R and takes his time eating it. He has always stayed thin but healthy. However, when it comes to peanut butter I believe that if I left the jar out he would eat the whole thing... but I am not gonna test it!

patm is offline Senior Member

I could free feed my two field line dogs and they would never overeat. They were interested in food, espcially treats, but not overeat. Emilu would eat treats till she blew up - but often leaves the food in her food bowl. They both eat slowly, and often leave it when I first put it in and eat it later.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

However, when it comes to peanut butter I believe that if I left the jar out he would eat the whole thing... but I am not gonna test it!

That could also be true for my Puff!!!

But I have no intention of testing to find out what her next day's appetite would be like.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748