HELP! 7 mo old lab- ALWAYS SICK!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! 7 mo old lab- ALWAYS SICK!!

DefaultHELP! 7 mo old lab- ALWAYS SICK!!

Our 7 and a half month old lab Dakota ALWAYS seems to have something wrong- we have had numerous trips to the vet and I feel so awful for her- not to mention sick to my stomach that we can't seem to get and keep her healthy!

She had kennel cough when she was younger... and has never been much of an eater - depends on the day... she vomits occasionally, but I think alot of dogs do from time to time after eating grass and stuff...

she has had two bladder infections- one which still will not go away we are still trying to treat - on top of that she either got into something outside or something bacterial and was drooling profusely, vomiting, and diarreah last week so we had to take her in and get her stomach pumped, charcoal, blood tests, x-rays, she was on an IV all day and amoxycillin... they gave us some special wet food good for the GI and she seemed great - until a couple days ago when she didn't want to eat again and I came home to vomiting, diarrea... she seemed to feel better after this but then got stung on the nose by a wasp - so 9pm trip to the store for some benadryl (I know this last one was a fluke) - it just always seemes to be something and I'm so worried about her- will she ever be healthy?? Today she didn't eat her breakfast- but finished it at lunch when I offered it to her again and seemed fairly back to normal- although still has the runs a little...haven't notced any blood in it.

We haven't even been able to get her spayed because she has not been well enough long enough to undergo the operation - and luckily, she has not gone into heat yet!

I'm wondering if she has a weak immune system...she had to be weaned pretty early because her mom developed a nipple infection so thinking maybe she missed out on some key nutrients the formula didn't offer?

Are there any supplements to strengthen immune system- or does anyone have any ideas, helpful advice, or can at least shar ein my pain of having a sick babygirl so much! She is the sweetest, smartest dog and we just want her to be healthy and well!

Thank you! ??? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: HELP! 7 mo old lab- ALWAYS SICK!!

I don't have any advice, but I am so sorry Dakota has been having health problems so often. I am sure she'll outgrow the sickness. I hope someone more knowledgeable responds.

I don't have any suggestions either. :-\ Have you asked your vet or breeder about the supplements?
    On a quick google search i found this site. Maybe something you could look into...

http://www.nativeremedies.com/petali...-diagnose.html

I hope you find what your looking for.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks! I may try that- worth a shot!

Mygirls2 is offline Senior Member

Sorry Dakota is sick so much.

I kind of know how you feel. Sarah had some problems early on too. She is incontinent which is controlled with medication. Had several UTIs. We even consulted a pediatric urologist who wanted to inject antibiotics into her bladder. Always had a rash around her innie. She vomited so often we were always taking her to the vet. Finally we had endoscopy done to see what was going on with her digestive tract and exploritory surgery done with her spay. Every summer she was getting a fungus on the base of her tail.

We finally had to put her on SD/ZD and a prescription for her stomach troubles. Over the next year or so we tried different foods. She is on Eagle Pack Holistic Duck and Oatmeal.

She is now 6 years old and all she takes is Proin. We haven't had any rashes, fungus, any UTIs, or vomiting for awhile - Knock on Wood.

Just hang in there and hopefully her immune system will build up.

Wow you have been through a lot! I'm glad she is doing better now- thanks for the words of hope

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I honestly think it is just like people...some dogs are more prone to illness than others. Unfortunately for me, my Labs are prone to illness and I am in the vets nearly every two months or so. Mine never get anything serious but we are always fighting 24 hour bugs, ear infections, etc. etc. We just keep the medicine cupboard stocked up. :

I never used to believe that mutts are healthier than purebreds but now honestly I do. My GSD/Border Collie mix (possibly crossed with something else) is NEVER ill. Never. My friends mutt is never ill either whereas her purebred Lab is always fighting illness.

The best thing you can do is feed your dog a high quality food and keep her fit and active. One big cause of illness (vomiting, diarrhea, 24 hour bugs, worms etc.) is due to scavenging and eating nasty things. I know this is a big problem for my dogs and a lot of other food crazy Labradors. Really monitor her intake to stop this from happening.

I would try adding a good quality fish oil to her diet along with probiotics. Both help build immunity naturally over time. All dogs can benefit from both of these products.

I looked Lya's dermatologist in the eye and asked him if she was going through this because she was a purebred. He said that ten years ago he almost saw only purebreds in his practice for allergies, but now he sees almost anything and everything walk through the door with allergies. He said that the occurrences have skyrocketed.

Can you keep your little friend on the Vet food until she is a bit older? Be careful with some holistic recommendations and or supplements. Some of them are fine others are just plain crazy. Most that people recommended to me contained ingredients we knew my dog to be allergic to. Eggs! Good idea in theory due to their nutrients, but not good for a dog who is allergic to them.

Due to food allergies I homecook for Lya. She weighs 55 pounds and everyday she gets:

2 cups of venison
    4 cups of potatoes
    1000 mg of calcium...like unflavored tums
    a pinch of salt
    1 crushed adult vitamin tables
    1 teaspoon of vegi oil, I have been using Oil, walnut or safflower

This diet was formulated by a Michigan State University Vet Nutritionist.

She also gets fresh carrots or green beans because she likes them and she is always hungry. I also give her about 6 walnut halves a day for the Omega 3 fatty acids. There are other sources but it is unlikely that she has developed allergies to walnuts they not being used often in commercial dog food.

Try really hard not to let her eat anything but her own food. I know this is hard as my little Lya is a Hoover and will eat most things.

Keep us posted!

Morgan with Lya and Friend Rocco the Rhodesian

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I would try to put her on Nupro. It has a lot of natural "things" in it that will boost her immune system. Chck out their web site at nuprosupplements.com. You can also call the 800 # and talk to them. They are wonderful to talk to.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast