Fleas/Ticks prevention question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleas/Ticks prevention question

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFleas/Ticks prevention question

Just wondering what you all use for this? At the vet we got Frontline, but it's pretty expensive so I'd rather use something else, but what works best? Are there any oral medications, or are they all the stuff you put on the back of the neck?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Fleas/Ticks prevention question

We have a lot of ticks in our area, and use Frontline Plus, which we get from the vet. Others may get it online cheaper...I dunno. I'm not aware of anything oral, but somebody else may know.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I have always used Frontline Plus on my dogs. However, when I first adopted Brigetta a friend recommended another flea medication (I think it was Hartz) until I could get to the vet. It was TERRIBLE and did not kill the fleas! She was scratching so bad. To this day I feel SO guilty for not getting to the vet sooner, especially since I had to bathe Brigetta and then wait 3 days before I could apply the Frontline. Once I did apply it, she was fine within 24 hours. Luckily my other dog was already on Frontline so she was not affected by the fleas Brigetta had. I'm happy to report that we are a flea-free household !* I know it's a little expensive, but I believe you can order it online from sites like 1800PetMeds for less (I don't know if you need a Rx from your vet-sorry). "Program Flavor Tabs" is an oral preventative, but it doesn't kill adult fleas. Someone else may have some other suggestions.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

At least in Kansas (and I think nationwide) you do NOT need a Rx for a refill on Frontline Plus.

You can use Froogle to get a range of prices --* (type Froogle into Google)

I almost ordered from "CanadaVet" but found that was only a name -- the company is really based in British Virgin Islands so I ordered from Amazon.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

I did some research and ended up ordering Biospot, made by Farnam, from Dog.com. It was much cheaper than the others and it takes care of ALL stages of fleas including adult, eggs and larvae, all ticks, AND kills and repels mosquitoes, which Frontline Plus and Advantage don't. A 3-month supply was only $5.45, compared to over $30 for the Frontline Plus. I love Dog.com! We got several gift certificates for them from the AKC when we registered Buddy. They sure come in handy

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Acording to one of my vets the Frontline Plus does repel mosquitoes. It is not labeled this way though.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

phaereet is offline Member

Can ADVANTIX be another option in means of flea and ticks protection ? I guess it is cheaper

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultWOW!! Check these prices!!

I just ordered 6 mos of Frontline Plus from Amazon but these people are the Amazon supplier.* It would have been MUCH cheaper ordering directly from them

http://www.discountpetsdrugs.com/fleacontrol.html
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

We use frontline Plus... we have never had a free problem and I like that is is "waterproof" and also kills ticks since we live in the NW and spend alot of time outdoors. Careful when going for the cheapest- I've heard some of them can cause bad reactions...

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

I use Revolution.* It works on adult fleas, flea eggs, heartworm, ear mites, sarcoptic mites, and American dog tick.* I used it last year on both my dogs, and it works well.

http://www.revolution4dogs.com/conte...ies=CN&sec=240

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast