DefaultFood Question

What do you feed your Lab??
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food Question

Any particular reason you are asking this question?

I feed Solidgold WolfCub puppy food...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Yes, actually.... I am getting a new lab from a breeder and have heard many food recommendations from others and just wanted some input from the members here on the site because everyone is so informative and helpful.
    This will help me make a 'good' healthy choice for my puppy when she arrives home!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Go with what the breeder recommends, and if you don't trust her suggestions, find another breeder. I don't mean to be curt, but take it from somebody who didn't do enough research in breeders...go with someone you trust and someone you think knows a lot about breeding, nutrition, the whole 9 yards. There are lots of good foods out there, calcium is a major concern for Lab pups (and really all large breed pups), so many go with a large breed puppy foods. However, some don't believe in puppy foods and will feed an adult food (which I would caution if this is the case, you must go with a food that has been formulated for all life stages per AAFCO...not all adult foods will cut it), and even then, you must still be aware of the amount of calcium present (usually 1.5% or less).

Do you know what your breeder feeds?

Yes, the breeder I have choosen is excellent and comes highly recommended.* I was told by someone who has recently boughten one of her pups that she recommended Kirkland's Large Breed Puppy Food.* However, I would have to drive an hour and fifteen minutes one way to get it.* This is not feasible, hence my inquiry.

It is a good food, and that's unfortunate you cannot get it. Well, I always through out the standard "ask your breeder" question, because sometimes it leads to other issues. Can you get any Diamond products, what about Premium Edge? Those two are made by the same company that makes Kirkland and they have very similar ingredients.

If not, I've heard many breeders recommend Eukanuba LB Puppy or Purina ONE/Pro Plan LB Puppy. Does the breeder, by any chance, have a second opinion on foods?

If your choices are limited, it may be easier to list what you can get, and then go from there.

Thanks Nick!
    I am going to try and do some more research and see if there is someone locally that sells it .. (that I am unaware of). I was under the impression that it was just a Costco thing ~ might have to STOCK up ~ as she has champion dogs... she obviously knows what she talking about.
    I appreciate your honesty and helpfulness and will be looking to you I'm sure in the future for more advice! ;D

You're right, the Kirkland is a Costco thing, but they also make Diamond and Premium Edge and sell it at a lot of other places (although Diamond is most commonly sold at feed stores...Tractor Supply and such).

http://www.diamondpet.com/DiamondPet/dealer.php
    http://www.premiumedgepetfood.com/pe_locatedealer.html

If you go to their website, they have a store locator link, that should help you find any stores nearby that sell it. If not, feel free to post again...somebody will help you find a good food that you can get locally.

Thanks for the links Nick! Great idea, however they are for the US.
    I am in Canada.

Ahhh...well those links won't help much.

There are some members here from Canada, so hopefully they'll chime in with some recommendations.