Hip Dysplasia

Thread: Hip Dysplasia

DefaultHip Dysplasia

What are the first signs of hip dysplasia? Rocky is now 6 months old and recently he seems to walk with a limp after he's been playing for a while or has been out for his 20-30 minute walk (twice a day). He doesn't wimper or even really slow down very much even though it appears he is limping. Should I have him checked out by my vet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Hip Dysplasia

Yes, have him checked out - could easily be Pano as well. Very bad cases on HD will show up around 6 months of age though. Pano will go away in time.

Pano, hip dysplasia, a problem with ligaments...it could be several things. I would definitely have his evaluated by your vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Have him checked out.

I adopted Ernie when he was 3 and he has serious H.D. I am not sure what he looked like as a pup, but typical is an odd gait.
    If you suspect he is is sore walk gentle walks up to 20 mins a day every day, and lots of swimming. As he is a pup there are a few rules to follow. No jumping, climbing, agility or jogging with you. More experience people can help.

I hope it is nothing serious. Please keep us updated.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Happy to report that Rocky's limp has subsided. Must have just been a strain. He's been limp free for about 2 weeks now.

Glad to hear Rocky is doing better! Fergus' limp turned out to be a torn ACL so I was worried when I read about Rocky. So happy to hear it's nothing serious

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Glad his limp is gone. Pano affects forelegs more often than hind legs, but it's typical for pano to come and go. Also, from dealing with elbow dysplasia, I've learned that your general practitioner vet is usually not skilled enough to interpret X-rays for dysplasia. Scotty had X-rays taken around 4 months of age, and his regular vet said he was just fine. When Scotty was 6 months, new X-rays were taken, and again his regular vet said they looked fine but suggested that I can have a radiologist evaluate the X-rays. Radiologist saw ED even though his regular vet did not. So, my point is, if you decide to have X-rays taken of Rocky (maybe when he's neutered and is under the anasthesia), you might want to have them interpreted by a radiologist or an orthopaedic vet just for your peace of mind.