lab does not want to walk or go on leash

Thread: lab does not want to walk or go on leash

Defaultlab does not want to walk or go on leash

Hi all new member here looking for some help

I have a very healthy physical fit 7 year old lab that has recently started operation shut down. He will not want to go out on leash* for a walk or to the off leash park. He will jump and fight me as if he is a stallion ready to be mounted for the 1st time. It is very concerning to me because one of his greatest traits is his ability to run and jump, swim, now he becomes very timid and in a submissive posture. I am reluctant to get drugs for this condition. Any help or suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: lab does not want to walk or go on leash

Has anything happened with him recently that might be causing this behavior? has he been fully checked out by the vet?

It is definitely not normal for a usually active dog to suddenly not want to go out for a walk. If any of my dogs are reluctant to go out, 99% of the time it is because they are not feeling well. A vet visit might be in order for you if you haven't done so already.

was at vets about a month ago for his annual check-up. This is a very highly thought of vet in Pittsburgh area, she didn't seem to concerned at the time since there were no physical signs of injury. It seems now that this condition has worsen. This s a very healthy 7 year old lab.It is a marvel to see him run in the field or swim in streams. My reluctance to go to the vet would be buying some type of drug for this and then having a chemical dependant dog. Do you know of any type of behavior measures that might help. PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT AN ABUSIVE PET OWNER BY ANY STRETCH. The best part of my day is when I take my dogs to the off leash area.

thanks for your concern-Paul

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Has anything scary or traumatic happened to him while he was on leash lately? A run in with another animal that scared him or something? He might be relating his leash/collar with whatever it was.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

If he is worse, a second opinion or at least a follow-up vet visit is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    Has anything scary or traumatic happened to him while he was on leash lately?* A run in with another animal that scared him or something?* He might be relating his leash/collar with whatever it was.

[/Quote There might be a time when we were in the woods, he went off the trail to the brush but nothing i can't remember happen to him. Are you familiar with the product DGP I saw advertised on the back cover of Just Labs magazine? Do you have any dealings with that product?

Thanks-Paul

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

No, never heard of that. What is it?

Maybe he saw something scary when he went off into the woods Not sure how to break him of it, though.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

This might be a stretch, but have you looked under the fur at his neck under his chin? I know that when I use a buckle collar on Jacob it rubs the skin under his fur so raw that it oozes. His fur is really thick there, and I almost missed the injury. If he loves to run and hates the collar and leash, maybe the collar is hurting him in some way.

We switched to a martingale collar and have had no more issues.

You are using just an normal buckle collar and not a prong or choke, correct? Because if those are fit incorrectly, they could be hurting him, too.

You might also want to look more closely at his feet. He could have a sliver or thorn in his pad, or a nail that is growing in a strange way. These things would hurt more if he is walking on pavement, which I assume is where you walk him when he is on his leash.

Keep us posted!
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

He has been know to attack groundhogs and take them as a prize but he has never been bitten nor does he show any signs of any physical injury. Maybe giving vet a call is the best