Grass Eating
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass Eating

DefaultGrass Eating

My 1.5 yr old choc. is eating a BUNCH of grass. He eats in like it's going out of style. Sometimes at night (not every night) he throws-up a clump of grass. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Grass Eating

Could you give us an idea about what your dog normally eats? Does he only eat dog food (dry or canned?)? Does he get any "people food"? How often does he eat grass? How long as it been going on?

Dogs eat grass because their stomach is upset. The grass is an irritant to their stomach which causes them to throw up. So, the fact that he is throwing up is essentially what he wants to happen. He feels there is something upseting his stomach so he is going to eat grass and throw up in hope that it makes him feel better.

So, my first guess is that something you are feeding him is really upsetting his stomach.

Most dogs have done it at least once in their life. Lexus does it every so often when she isn't feeling well. But if your dog is doing it fairly often, then something in his normal diet is upsetting his stomach.

Some people say that dogs eat grass because they like it... But if your dog is throwing up, I would suspect that something in his diet isn't working for him. I would consider everything he eats in a normal day and see if you could possibly find what could be upsetting his stomach.

You definitely need to make sure that the grass your dog is eating is free from chemicals and other poisons. Also, make sure the blades are short. Dogs who eat really long blades of grass cannot digest this well at all and it causes severe blocks inside them.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Dogs eat grass because their stomach is upset. The grass is an irritant to their stomach which causes them to throw up. So, the fact that he is throwing up is essentially what he wants to happen. He feels there is something upseting his stomach so he is going to eat grass and throw up in hope that it makes him feel better.
    While that may SOMETIMES be true for SOME dogs, it's certainly not true for my Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01),* I doubt that it's a useful generalization.*

At our weekly Labfests Saturday afternoons, we've sometimes seen seven or more Labs all grazing like a herd of Holstein cows.* They weren't sick those nights.* My Puff is very selective about which leaves of grass she eats and noses through a lot of them before selecting and eating some;* I think she's going on the basis of smell and flavor.*

As for long stalks of grass, she eats those sometimes, too.* Our only occasional problem with the long stalks is that they sometimes create what I call "Dangling Stalkers" -- a stool dangles by the blade stalking poor Puff.* When that happens, I slip a plastic bag over my hand and relieve her from her stalker.

For another view of why dogs eat grass see the link below:

http://www.healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?id=14
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I wasn't trying to say that it was true for ALL dogs... However, most things that I have read about the subject leads to that being the most common reason dogs eat grass.

Although, for dogs who just "like" to eat grass... Sometimes this might suggest to their owners that they are not getting everything in their diet that they need. Again, not to say this is true for ALL dogs, but some of them.

And since that eating grass for an upset stomach is a pretty common thing, that is why it was my top suggestion. Obviously it is better to assume that and try to take care of the problem rather than go "Oh, my dog does it; it's normal." If their dog is eating grass because something is upsetting him, they need to address that and not just continue on thinking it isn't a big deal.

Eating long grass occasionally isn't a problem. However, if you have a dog who continually eats large amounts of long grass that could cause some problems. Again, I wasn't trying to say all long grass is bad... But for this dog, who is eating large amounts of grass, it could be problamatic if it is long grass.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I agree with Bob. It depends on how they are eating the grass. Oona will take just the tops off of the grass, I assume it is sweet. If your dog is eating large clumps of grass it may have a parasite.
    Olie

Champsmom is offline Senior Member

My dog eat's grass all the time, and all my previous dog's did also. I asked my vet about it, because I was also under the asumption they ate it because they had an upset stomach. My vet said no, they eat it because they like it.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

While it is true that dogs will eat grass when they don't feel well, most dogs eat it simply because it tastes nice. Dogs particularly enjoy eating grass at this time of year because it is fresh and sweet. My dogs graze every day in the spring/summer and they certainly are not lacking anything in the diet nor are they ill. Apart from the nasty dangling poops Bob describes, grass will never do them any harm and I let mine eat as much as they want.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

This is very interesting....

Two occasions spring to mind, both while traveling, one with LeRoy (RIP) and one years later with Auggie.

We were on the road and each one signaled by getting up and standing at the door with a really pulled back lip/anxiety expression. We stopped, let them out, and each gave an unproductive retch and went immediately to grazing.

We let them graze for several minutes until they were doing more sniffing than grazing and the 'sick' expression on their face was gone. Now.......

We live on a farmstead and drink well water/not treated in any way. Upon reflection, both incidences were after at least a week on the road and most commercial campgrounds have "city"/treated water with chlorine water. I am of the persuasion that if the water will not support bacteria it will brobably 'kill' a lot of the beneficial bacteria in the gut too.

After that second occasion I made a point of carrying water from home for the dog, in rinced out plastic gallon milk jugs. One half gallon/day for each day we were to be away from home. Since then (many years now), no more panic stops for a 'sick' dog, and (in every way) regular consistant 'poopies' on the road!

This past Spring Auggie was doing too much grazing in the cow yard so I started adding Prozyme to her diet. That has cut the cow/ kitty poop/occasional grass eating to a very minimum.

So my theory is that between commercial dog food and chlorinated water the canine critters are lacking and trying to supplement bencficial bacteria that is needed in the gut for proper digestion/breakdown of neutriants. Just my personal 'pet' theory. I did NOT stay at a Holliday Inn last night. :P
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

phaereet is offline Member

Chlorinated city water does NOT kill the bacteria in intestines. I am at the same side with those suggesting it is the dog's preference to eat grass. At least mine likes.. But he is two years old at the moment and as he was a puppy he used to eat fast and too much and used to eat grass and then vomit afterwards (upset stomach ?). So he is now really big enough to tolerate his proplan food and still eats grass and never throws them out! He is in the habit of grass eating MAYBE Hmm.. ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast