Oona's ear problems/food allergies update

Thread: Oona's ear problems/food allergies update

DefaultOona's ear problems/food allergies update

Last fall Oona started having cronic ear infections. Sometimes they would be a yeast infection, sometimes a bacterial infection, sometimes both at the same time. This spring ( and $700 later) the vet and I came to the conclusion that she may have a food allergy.
    April 1st I switched her from Iams Chicken and Rice ( it has wheat and corn in it) to Nature's Recipe Lamb Rice and Barley. I also stopped giving her all dairy products. For the second week in a row I have been able to give her the once a week ear cleaning and there was barely any wax at all. ;D
    Olie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Oona's ear problems/food allergies update

YAY! Glad to hear Oona is doing great now ;D

I have seen in a majority of cases food being the cause of constant ear infections...But doesn't seem like vet's diagnose food as the likely cause often enough or fast enough
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Thats why it cost $700. :-[
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That is wicked pricey But the problem has been solved and lessons learned I suppose

I am no expert but this is what I have learned so far with my pup...if your dog smells bad even though you give it a bath every couple days to every couple weeks...food could be a cause
    Constant ear infection...food could be the cause
    Bad breath...check food
    Dull coat...check food
    Excessive shedding even for a lab...check food
    Flaking of skin...check food
    Poops alot...the potty can be of normal consistency but going more than once or twice a day when he's no longer a puppy...check food
    hehehe
    Food it seems is a HUGE factor in a lot of health issues...

Well Iams was the 4th food she was on. The prior ones she was on led to UTIs. She hadn't had one of those in 4 years, and as soon as I took her off if Iams she got another UTI. Your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don't.
    Olie

Hello,

Have you tried something like Natural Balance's Fish and Sweet Potato or maybe IVD's Venison and Potato? Sometimes the companies get other ingredients in their food from other processing or accident etc.

$700 was my vet bill this month alone, nevermind Feb., March, April, and May, but my dog is responding to better food and a medication called Atopica.

I really wish you the best cause I have been there and it is not fun.

Morgan with Lya and Friend Rocco

It can be frustrating, can't it? Tucker's only 16 mos., but started having ear problems at times, plus paw licking, and some scratching. I switched him to California Natural Lamb/Rice, wondering if it was food-related. The itching went away. He got antibiotics for the paws, and MalOtic for his ears...just clean 'em and apply a bit into the ear and rub the ear. The MalOtic really cleared them up.

I tried switching him to Nutro Lamb/Rice (to save money, and I could buy it closer to home), but the itching started, so switched right back to CA Natural.

Now this spring, he's had ear flare-ups 2 times, and some paw licking. So he got antibiotics and MalOtic again. The vet isn't sure if it's food or environmental, and says you have to go through a few seasons to see if it's environmental, but since he had it in the fall, and now spring (nothing in the winter), we're thinking environment. Wondering at first if it may be food-related, she suggested switching foods....her suggestion was CA Natural; that's the brand they usually suggest switching to for food allergies, she said. But then I told her he's already on it. So we're watching, and if it's possible food-related, she said maybe later switching to a venison/sweet potato food, just to see if there's any difference. But for now, we, and she, think his is more environmental.

Luckily, it's only been a few times, and the MalOtic clears the ears up fast.

One of my dogs has environmental allergies. I do feed a good food (Timberwolf Organic Bison) but also started giving him Salmon Oil and (this really made a difference) Life Extension by Solid Gold. You may want to look into it on their website: www.solidgoldhealth.com

Yeah after I switched Buck to Solidgold Wolfcub his coat got better, ears cleared up, skin got better...we'll see what happens in the fall and spring though...it will confirm if it was his old food or just environment.

One thing with solidgold though it does not settle well with all dogs...but when it does it's a good food