2 year old not interested in eating in the am

Thread: 2 year old not interested in eating in the am

Default2 year old not interested in eating in the am

I have not been on the forum for some time. I have 3 yellows, Otis 7, Dutch 5 and Boomer almost 2. Boomer has decided he does not like to eat in the AM we have to coax him to eat, he takes couple bites then walks away. He still wants to play and walk and his personality seems fine. He does has been eating at night.
    I have never had this issue with my other two boy. Do you think it has something to do with him not be neutered. I have a call into the advice nurse at our vet.
    What are your thoughts. We feed him "Wellness" Lamb dog food.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 2 year old not interested in eating in the am

Our two year old, Bodie, doesn't want to eat in the morning either. He just lays down by his bowl. He'll finally eat about 30 or 45 minutes later. He eats fine at night, but doesn't eat fast like our other lab Sam. All I can figure is that Bodie's not too hungry in the morning. I'm interested to see what others have to say.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My suggestion is to reduce by half the amount you've been offering at supper and continue to offer food in the morning.

I say that because distributing the food intake into 2 meals rather than one will reduce the probability of bloat. Better to have smaller, more frequent meals through the day.

It sounds to me as if you have a Lab that self-regulates his food intake (lucky me and you!) and he's just fallen into the rut of eating most of his daily food need at night. Cutting back the amount given at night should shift some of his appetite over to a morning meal.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have two labs that sometimes don't eat in the AM. What I do is remove the food after about 45 minutes, they have soon learned they have window to eat if not they wait till the next serving.

Our pup has not been interested in food much ever- especially in the morning... until we ended up having to use some moist food from the vet after some vomitting/diarrea- she LOVED it and ate it up - but when we went back to her dry (Eukanuba large breed puppy) she had no interest- I tried putting some Iams gravy stuff on it just to see and she scarfed it up! We've come to the conclusion that she doesn't like her food and thus only eats when she's REALLY hungry or when it has been doctored up extra yummy... we are going to try a different food and see if that helps.

I have a friend who pours a little chicken broth on the food for her dog to get him to eat too...

Does your pup eat treats in the morning? I can always tell if our pup doesn't feel good or just doesn't want her food by whether or not she will eat treats

Good luck!!

do you have a problem with letting him self regulate his feeding?

My boy koa isn't much of an am eater either. He, like you said, will take a little bit of food walk away and go play; then come back later and get some more food. I understand how this could be hard to do with three dogs in your home.
    Another idea is to skip one meal completely...

update - we just started the process of changing Dakota's food... and her appetite seems stronger than ever - she was eating the Eukanuba LB puppy... we are switching her to purina pro plan LB puppy and she seems to love it,,, I really think her appetite problems were that she didn't like her food- maybe try switching your pups and see if it makes a difference?