Coughing

Thread: Coughing

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultCoughing

My dog woke me up in the middle of the night with this deep dry coughing that would make her gag. Reminded me of the pneumonia/pulmonary embolism I spent most of the winter fighting so I hauled butt to the vet this morning with her and they just called to say it's an upper respiratory infection and they're putting her on 7 days of antibiotics and hopefully this will clear it up.

Here's my question...can I still take her to the dog park or am I losing my one place for really good exercise for her because she's gonna get sick every time I take her there now? It is the most likely culprit for where she caught this...it's the only place she's around other dogs and it's where she was for an hour and a half yesterday morning and by 4 am this morning the hacking began. I'm going to ask the vet what to do, but I'm really upset right now. She needs to run a LOT and no amount of me walking her on a leash will make up for 2-3 trips a week to the dog park for off leash romps. If that's taken away...I don't know what to do....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Coughing

It sounds like your girl has kennel cough. You can give her robitussin (call vet for dosage) if the hacking is bad. Keep her away from other dogs (parks or wherever) for at least a week after you hear the last cough.

BudGirl8 Guest

Yeah, she does have an upper respiratory thing - they gave me an antibiotic for 7 days. She got immunized for kennel cough but that was in CO where I adopted her from and apparently they have different strains here so she's not immunized for the ones here...UGH! They didn't give me any instructions about how long to stay away from other dogs...I guess I better call them about that tomorrow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Darwin has always been up to date on the "vaccine" but he comes down with kennel cough each summer. My dog no longer go to daycare and aren't boarded (places where the bordetella shot is required) so I'm no longer giving it. We'll see if he comes down with it this year