More poop talk, sorry!

Thread: More poop talk, sorry!

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultMore poop talk, sorry!

Okay, we are switching Buddy from Science Diet to Diamond (actually, it's Premium Edge by Diamond). It's been a few days. I try to mix it about half and half but he mostly just eats the new food. And he's had diarrhea the last couple days. He doesn't go more often than usual but when he does it's very loose. He seems to feel fine though. Will he eventually adjust and get back to normal?

Barb

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: More poop talk, sorry!

If it's just the upset to his stomach (which it sounds like it is), yes, he'll adjust over the course of a few days. I know I'm mentioned this before (so sorry if I've already told you this), but Jes had an incredibly sensitive stomach as a pup. The slightest change in foods would give him loose stools. It always was better in 24-48 hours though. In all honesty, if he already has loose stools and he's only picking out the new food, I'd just switch over now and get it all over with.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I tried to go back to the Premium Edge last year, and did not have good results with it. I could not get the stools to firm up and one of my dogs refused to eat it. Before the formula change (which I believe was a year or 2 ago) they were fine. I also heard that one of the other lab breeders had a problem with soft poops also. I would give it a a bag or two before changing. It is good food.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure if Buddy still has the diarrhea or not, he went camping this weekend with my husband, son and the Boy Scouts. I'm sure if he does, hubby is NOT happy, as he has to pick up the poop and dispose of it! He IS eating the Premium Edge much better than just the Science Diet alone and after this weekend I think we'll forget about mixing the two.

Barb

When I switched Guinness' food too quickly (50/50) he reacted the same way... so then I started off with a smaller portion of the new food & gradually made the transition off of the old food over 2 weeks. Although, it seemed a bit of a hassle to try & measure out the 2 different foods each day.. it was worth it. He made the switch without any trouble.

Was ur lab havin' trouble on the science diet? Even though he likes the new food... maybe it's not for him & that's why he's havin' diahrrea. I know when we tried Diamond L&R... we couldn't pour it into the bowl fast enough for him!!!! However, it didn't agree with him @ all as he constantly had diahhrea. As soon as we switched to another brand of food.... he was fine!!

Good luck!!!

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

I know I've said this before, but it really has worked for mine. Add a dollup of plain yogurt with active cultures to each meal for a while. It will enhance his normal flora. Hope he clears quickly. Nothing worse than scooping runny poop. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ruff n tumble crew
    I know I've said this before, but it really has worked for mine. Add a dollup of plain yogurt with active cultures to each meal for a while. It will enhance his normal flora. Hope he clears quickly. Nothing worse than scooping runny poop. :P
    You know, I really thought the whole yogurt and probiotics thing was just another fad, but you're absolutely right, it does help. Especially for dogs with sensitive guts like Jes, it's amazing how well it works. Probiotics are must when he's on antibiotics (I skip the yogurt then since it decreases the effectiveness of some antibiotics).

I talked to my hubby last night and Buddy does indeed still have diarrhea. Hubby is NOT happy and is talking about just sticking with Science Diet since there weren't any problems with it (other than Buddy hates it!). I hope he gets over this, as I went shopping yesterday and found a good deal on the Premium Edge (the 6 lb bags were buy one, get one free!) so I bought 6 bags! WHY would they put a large breed puppy food in 6 lb bags anyway? LOL. I will try the yogurt. I don't have any plain, so would the flavored work? I gave him yogurt once before and he didn't like it, but maybe it was just that flavor...

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

If you can, get the plain. I don't know what the sugar in the flavored will do to the already upset tummy. The plain usually comes in a large (2cup?) container.