Allergies Question

Thread: Allergies Question

DefaultAllergies Question

I'm wondering if those of you whose dogs are plagued by various allergies found that they got alot worse as your dog aged.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Allergies Question

Guinness has developed allergies over the past 2 years.. now he is 5 years old. His allergies.. seem to be getting worse to me... mostly environmental.

Yes allergies will get worse over time. Allergies start because the body has been bombarded with too much of one allergen over time and/or the defense system cannot fight it. It will continue to build up over time (think of pennicilin allergies. You take pcn for years then all of a sudden you have a reaction). That is why you don't want to bring out the big guns when the dog is first diagnosed. If you start with the heavy duty stuff first, then you have nothing to go to later.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Things aren't too bad at this point, but the signs are definitely there that she's allergy prone. Yeasty ears from day one, although lately they have improved. Occasionally she gets little sores in between her toes which of course worsen as she chews at them...nothing major though. Her skin is basically okay, but I have never had a dog that scratched so much....right from being a tiny pup. The one place she is really raking at is her mouth. You can see the hair is thinning slightly and it often looks irritated. It's difficult to use anything on her mouth as she would obviously just lick it off. The Vet said that it's an area that doesn't get much air (same as between the toes) and to wipe it with a face cloth once in awhile to keep it clean. I've only ever had one other dog with allergies and it was a very long time ago. They did get much worse as she got older.