small lump on Zoe's side

Thread: small lump on Zoe's side

zgirls is offline Senior Member

Defaultsmall lump on Zoe's side

Zoe has a small lump on her side.. feels like a cyst that I have on my leg ....kinda soft...she is scheduled for a yearly check up next month......we are wondering should we just monitor it to see if it grows or should we go into the vet's now.....she is eating fine, weight is the same, same energy level she has always had.....she is now 6 1/2 years old.....poor baby- she is beginning to get more gray on her.....
    Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: small lump on Zoe's side

I wouldn't have any advice one way or the other about going on into the vet about it. But mine had a small lump on his chest some months back. It too was soft....he had to go to the vet a couple of weeks later, so I just waited to have her check it. She told me what it's called, but I can't recall now....and said it's a common thing labs can get, and will go away in a couple of months, which it did. She aspirated it while we were there and took a close look, and re-confirmed what that it was what she'd said it was; it was harmless.

I don't know if that's your case or not, if it's the same thing, but that was my experience.

Thanks......our thought is too watch it and let the vet check it out next month at her yearly check-up......that is if it doesn't grow.....just makes one a bit nervous to find those things though......
    Lee

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, it does make you nervous. That's probably best...just keep an eye on it, and wait unless it changes.

If she has a visit for a month from now; I'd keep a watch and make sure it's not growing. My little guy, Woodstock, has had a lump his entire life ... never grows; we just keep it in check. Good luck and keep us posted on Zoe girl!!

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Probably a lipoma. Watch it. If it is growing, get in sooner. Otherwise, call it to your vet's attention at your regular appointment.

Oona had one of these when she was about 2. It was on her pasturn and started out about the size of a pea. In two weeks it was about the size of a dime. We looked it up in the Home Vet Handbook, and the discription sounded like a button tumor. It turns out we were right. The vet removed it with a lazer and in a month you never would have known it was there. Its probably just a cyst or button tumor but because of her age, I might ask if you could move her check up, up and get it looked at.
    Olie

thanks for the suggestion.....so far it is the same size as it was a week ago.........
    Lee

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Jacob has a lump that the vet checks every year. It is not a problem and the vet sees no issue with just leaving it alone. I think she called it a fatty deposit. He has had it for a couple of years now. It is on his side near his rib cage. Scared me to death when I first found it, but now I don't even think about it except to scritch around it and to remind the vet to check it once a year.

I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Hello there..Our other dog had a lump on her side as well, and due to Zoe's age, I would guess it to be a fatter tumor. As long as you can pull it up from the rest of her body a little and it hasn't attached itself that is what I would guess it is. The vet told us that as dogs age that it is pretty common of the them to develop fatter tumors. Good luck!