teeth cleaning + biopsy

Thread: teeth cleaning + biopsy

lab13 Guest

Defaultteeth cleaning + biopsy

My 11 yr old black lab went to the dentist this morning for a rountine teeth cleaning. During the cleaning he noticed that she has an irritation under her tongue around 1 1/2 cm in length. It looks like a red raised irritation. He isn;t sure what it is but just to be sure he took a biopsy and has sent it off. He told me that he had another dog that had 4 of these things like under the tongue and three came back ok and the 4th was cancer.

I hope she will be ok. We should find out Monday or Tuesday.

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen with their lab?

He strongly recommends NO hard toys or bones as they cause tooth fractures!!
    Only recommends Kongs and rawhide strips.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: teeth cleaning + biopsy

Quote Originally Posted by lab13
    He strongly recommends NO hard toys or bones as they cause tooth fractures!!
    Only recommends Kongs and rawhide strips.
    I've wondered about that with the hard nylabones for strong chewers, but everybody seems to use them so I guess they must be okay.

Best wishes for good results with the biopsy.

pj

no experience with growths under the tongue but my 11yr old golden just had a teeth cleaning and had 2 growths removed from the gum line area in diff parts of her mouth. one turned out to be an irritation and the other was cancer, however it was the localized type and is not the type that spreads to other parts of the body, however we do have to keep an eye on that area b/c it may grow back.

wishing for good news on the biopsy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lab13 Guest

Thanks for the good wishes for the report.

This dentist has always recommended only kongs and chewable rawhide strips in the box.

He says that if you let your dog chew anything hard that if you hit it over your knee and it hurts you then it will fracture your dogs teeth - and then you will be in to see him!!

hark67 is offline Senior Member

I am pretty sure my Lab fractured his back molar on a greenie. We watched the tooth for about a year....it did not seem to bother him but then it started to get red at the gumline and needed to be pulled. Because of the crack, it was a VERY difficult extraction and he had a rough recovery. I will never give greenies again...they are narrow enough that they can have them in their mouth and chomp directly down on them. Bones(like Marrow Bones) are hard but my lab was never able to get the entire thing in his mouth so never was able to bite down on it with full force.

My yellow lab had a raised red mark on the top of her tongue, vet looked at it and didnt seem concerned, it eventually went away and hasnt come back......
    Hope you get good news on the biopsy....

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts to you and I hope the results are that it's nothing.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

lab13 Guest

Good news!! The report came back in as - pertruding normal sublingual tissue.

Thanks for all your good wishes for my lab!! : )