9 week old puppy acts starving!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9 week old puppy acts starving!

Default9 week old puppy acts starving!

Hello everyone,

We've had our puppy (now 9 weeks old) Bender for 2 weeks now, and he constantly seems (or acts) starving when it comes time to eat. We have him on a feeding schedule of 1/2 cup 3X day, 7:00am, 12:30pm, and 6:00pm, and use puppy food as treats throughout the day for training. My question is if we are feeding him enough?

He gobbles down his food in a matter of minutes and acts like he is still starving. Just two days ago he started to growl and act aggressive while he was eating (we have been petting him and talking to him while he eats, and it WAS working fine).

This morning he knocked the bowl out of my hand (spilling the food everywhere) and then started to growl and bark at me while he was eating.

My solution was to get him to sit away (he knows sit) from the bowl and feed him 5-6 pieces of food at a time (by hand). I figured this would slow his eating down and remind him that I am in control of his food and reinforce his good behavior of sitting away from the dish and eating slowly.

Is he acting this way because he needs more food? or does he act starving?

Thanks,
    Tia
    Last edited by tiasker; 03-22-2009 at 01:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Mine would act starving too if only fed that amount! By the time my pups leave at 8 wks (females ranging from 10-15 lbs normally), they are usually eating ~2.25 C per day and quickly graduate to 3 over the course of the next 2 -3 wks. My 16 wk old (almost 30#) is eating closer to 4 C a day now.

Did your breeder send any recommendations home w/ you at all? Anne

sorry we are feeding 1/2c 3X day not 1/3c. I've edited the original post.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hayshakerlabs is offline Senior Member

I sent puppies home a few weeks ago at 8 weeks and they were eating 1 c, three times a day at 8 weeks-pup weighed about 15-16 lbs. I have 2 keepers and they are now 13 weeks and they are eating 1 1/3-1.5 cups 3 times a day. I think your pup needs more food. You are addressing the issue correctly with hand feeding him and making him sit and wait. You can also feed him in a muffin tin to slow him down some. Good luck!

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

i think you need to feed more. by 8 weeks i don't (because I can't) do three feedings a day. I do two. But I would say they are eating 3 cups a day.
    Kim

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Needs more food for sure! Mine at 8 weeks was 3/4 cup 3 x a day and was up to a full cup in a week or so. He is now 14 weeks old and is at 1.5 cups 3x a day and has a very nice body condidtion. They are growing so fast at this age, I am sure he is frantic for food!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I am sure of it too... would be willing to bet $$$ on it that the pup is just hungry. The "pigginess" will likely correct itself once he is satisfied again.

If you can feel their ribs *too* easily, they are too thin. Think about keeping enough of a fat layer there that if he were to get sick for a couple days, he'll have reserves.

sarah is offline Senior Member

what food are you feeding your puppy? I am pretty sure we were feeding 1 cup of our Eagle Pack Large Breed Puppy food 3x a day until 4 months and then it was 1.5cups 2x a day and now we are on grain free and are feeding 3/4 cups 2x a day. (but she is alot older now too!)
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Dani is offline Senior Member

wow...our rescue pups were eating 1.25 c. twice a day at that age. Feed more.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I agree with feeding more, we did # of cups for # of months old for the first few months and it worked really well for us (2 cups @ 2 months old, 3 cups @ 3 months old, etc) Baloo had nice even growth on that schedule.

But, your pup is also a lab, so the "pigginess" will probably never go away altogether. Labs aren't exactly known for their discriminating palates.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast