YEAST IN THE EARS!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YEAST IN THE EARS!

DefaultYEAST IN THE EARS!

Kona got an infection in both ears that ended up being yeast. We had him on oral antibiotics as well as an ear solution for 3 weeks. We took him back to the vet and he still had yeast, however not as bad.
    She is recomending trying an anti yeast cleaner for a few weeks. After that, if it isn't any better she is recommending a 12 week special food diet to see if it is food related. If that doesn't work, then she is talking about the possibility of getting an allergy test done by a dermatologist to determine possible environmental factors! Needless to say, it could get very pricey.

My question is for anyone who has had yeast problems with there dogs. What measures did you take and how successful have they been? Is this going to be a lifelong problem? Any recommendations? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: YEAST IN THE EARS!

Hi,

could you describe what sort of wax you can see in the ears of your boy?

Quote Originally Posted by iago26
    Hi,

could you describe what sort of wax you can see in the ears of your boy?
    Well, it is kind of red in colour. I didn't notice anything until his ears started to smell. When I originally took him to the vet she said both were pretty severe yeast infections. He didn't show any signs of anything bothering him at all!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Is your vet sure that it is a yeast infections?

I think it could be a mite infection.

What are you feeding, including treats?

The vet had no hesitation that it was a yeast infection, so I am assuming that she knows what she is talking about. But we all know what assuming does.
    As far as food goes, he is on Nutro Lamb and Rice... and his treats are just kibble.

Dani is offline Senior Member

if it's red...I would think mites too. If it's darker brown in color with an odor...it's yeast.

How old is Kona? Labs don't usually get alllergies until they are between 1 and 3 and less than 5% of dogs with allergies are actually food related.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

Zoey and I have been through this, and through this again. Her ears get red too, but from scratching. She is on maintenance doses of Ketoconazole sp? To help with the yeast we can pretty much rule out food its inhaled allergies so in 30 days she goes to get tested at the vet. I hope they narrow down the cause because it is very frustrating. There re others in the board that have been through the same thing. I spent time in the tub last night soaking her feet and mine in epson salts because of itchy feet. I was only in there because she get nervous in the tub. So all six feet were soaking

With my 3 years old lab i had a lot of problems with his ears. I tried everything for over a year: change foods, antibiotics, ears cleaners. In the end, just before procede with the allergies test, I tried Thornit. This is an old-fashioned canker powder. I resolved the problem in 5 days... I don't belived it.

I will try it before going through all the exams you said.

You can buy it at: http://www.championpetsonline.co.uk/...5246&p_i=35246

Bye

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Sometimes switching to a different protein source and/or food will clear up the ears. My guys could not tolerate the Chicken Soup foods, lots of ear gunk...What kind of ear solution is you vet using? Mine told me that yeast have become resistant to the Panalog and Otomax. I forget the name of what she prescribed but will look it up if you like.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast