Canidae?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canidae?

WigWag Guest

DefaultCanidae?

Anyone have any experiences with Canidae?

I have been trying to find a good cheaper dog food. Clint is very picky. Anyway I currently feed Pinnacle and pay $44.00 for a 30 lbs bag - no I am not kidding. My "organic" dog food supply store near me has foods like Timberwolf Organic which is $60.00 - $70.00 for a 30 lbs bag! I tried Prairie and my dogs liked it but then she jumped up in price and it's $50.00 - $55.00 for a 30 lbs bag. I just bought a bag of Canidae for $28.00 for 30 lbs. She says it's a "decent" food and has so far escaped a recent markup but even if it goes up a little it will be significantly less than the others.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Canidae?

I liked Canidae. I fed it to my dogs before I switched to the raw diet. And if we go on vacation or something, I buy a small bag of Canidae rather than haul around an ice chest of raw meat. When I first switched Oreo (my Pit Bull) to Canidae from a cheap brand, I noticed a huge improvement in her coat...very shiny and less shedding. Riley (my Lab) started out on higher quality food, so I didn't see a drastic change like I did with Oreo. Hope that helps.

I had Autumn on Candidae for at least a year..she did great on it..good poop. Then I started fostering and even that became too expensive to feed more than one dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I haven't tried Canidae, but I can't believe how much Timberwolf Organics is around you I have Darwin on it and pay $48 for 33 lbs.

I hope Labby doesn't mind me saying, but I know she tried Canidae and her dogs coats went to crap and ears blew up...says she wouldn't feed it again if they gave it to her for free.

Jes did well on it, but they changed their formula. I think the ingredients are still the same, but the quantities are different. It was much lighter, and I believe the decreased the amount of meat in it. I think it's still a good food, but I switched to Eagle Pack...mainly because they started selling it around here and not because I didn't like Canidae. If I ever have a problem getting Eagle Pack, I'd go back to Canidae.

It seems to be one of those odd foods that dogs either do very well or very poor on it. There doesn't appear to be much of a middle ground.

My dog did not do well on it. Hot spots, crappy coat. He also pooped a lot on this food. Every time I turned around he was pooping, at least 6 times a day. Nice stool but a lot of it. He also started to drink a lot of water when on this food.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Jes did well on it, but they changed their formula.* I think the ingredients are still the same, but the quantities are different.* It was much lighter, and I believe the decreased the amount of meat in it.* I think it's still a good food, but I switched to Eagle Pack...mainly because they started selling it around here and not because I didn't like Canidae.* If I ever have a problem getting Eagle Pack, I'd go back to Canidae.

It seems to be one of those odd foods that dogs either do very well or very poor on it.* There doesn't appear to be much of a middle ground.
    Nick, do you happen to know when the formula changed? TIA
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Dani is offline Senior Member

Sharon...weren't you trying EVO recently or has a lot of time lapsed and I just lost track?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

WigWag Guest

Dani I've tried a bunch of things.* EVO didn't go over well here as Clint would not eat it at all and Cuffy didn't really like it either (I gave a nearly full bag to Mollyrocker a few weeks ago) and he eats just about anything.* I thought the EVO would be good for Clint as he burns food well and is self regulating and I've heard it's great for intact males but he just wouldn't listen to my reasoning for eating something he didn't like.* He insists that a diet of chocolate chip cookies and chocolate donuts would be the best thing for him.* *

I am trying a new Canidae formula that is one protein source (chicken) instead of four like the original Canidae.* I was told at my holistic pet supply place that dogs prone to allergies or some that are more sensitive to a few protein sources do not do well.* Cuffy will always be on a duck variety (Pinnacle or Royal Canin).* Clint also likes the Pinnacle duck or Pinnacle trout so I am really trying this out on the girls - if Clint likes it that will be a plus.*

The woman who owns the pet food supply close to me advocates switching brands.* She has been there for 5 years now and knows quite a bit about nutrition and her daughter works for a large vet practice and runs a pet sitting business (they watch my dogs and cats).* I trust her and like her approach to foods and she has a lot of experience.* She really likes the Timberwolf products but again my dogs HATED them.* The girls ate some of the varieties but Clint and Cuffy turned up their noses.* The one that Clint liked a little was the lamb and apples and despite that being a more "common" protein source compared to others they offer like bison and elk it is their most expensive at nearly $70.00 for a large bag (Hmmmmm maybe cuz most dogs like it best????).

Nick, do you happen to know when the formula changed? TIA
    I think this is my 4th bag of Eagle Pack, so I'm guessing about 4-5 months ago. The ingredients were almost identical, there were only a few cosmetic changes, so I don't think they'd cause any problems, but it was definitely much lighter in color so I know the amounts of some things were changed. I've heard, and I don't know if this is true, that that's a sign of less meat (the lighter color).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast