Poop talk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poop talk

DefaultPoop talk

We have a 6 month old lab named Cash who has had diarrhea on and off for a couple of weeks. We took Cash to the vet this past weekend and after a poop check for bacteria was told he probably just had 'garbage gut'. She gave him a shot to ease his stomach and gave us some bland food to give him for a couple of days. He had a regular poop once yesterday. Then Cash had his first in-home training session last night and we have started the click/treat stuff. Today he has had blow-out baaaad diarrhea, every 20 minutes or so. We didn't make it outside once and he had to go in the kitchen! What should we do? Fast for 24 hours again with only water? Call our vet again? He normally eats Eukanuba puppy chiots for large breeds, which we were giving as treats along with a new lamb/food that the trainer gave us. He haaaaates pepto (who can blame him) and just wants to lay down. :-[ Poor Cash. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Poop talk

Good question, you're already doing the first thing I would suggest...use the food as treats so you can have him eating only one thing. I would fast, at least one meal, to rest his gut. At 6 months of age, he can handle a few skipped meals a lot better than a young puppy, but I wouldn't want to make a habit out of it. If he doesn't improve over the next 24 hours, then I would call your vet again. Are you in the process of switching over to the lamb food?

I know it stinks, but does the diarrhea have a particularly strong or distinct odor...unlike normal dog poop? The reason I ask is because when Jes had giardia (and I know several other members here have mentioned noticing the same thing), he had pretty explosive and frequent diarrhea, and it had a very different smell to it. Giardia is often missed, so just because the fecal didn't show coccidia or other bacteria, I wouldn't rule out Giardia.

Do you know what shot he was given?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I know it stinks, but does the diarrhea have a particularly strong or distinct odor...unlike normal dog poop? The reason I ask is because when Jes had giardia (and I know several other members here have mentioned noticing the same thing), he had pretty explosive and frequent diarrhea, and it had a very different smell to it. Giardia is often missed, so just because the fecal didn't show coccidia or other bacteria, I wouldn't rule out Giardia.
    Yeah.. there is a special "snap" test for giardia that you almost allways have to specifically ask for. It's not 100% sure but way better than a normal fecal check.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hmmmm, you know the only thing I noticed was that it DIDN'T really smell. Does that mean anything? It really was thin and liquidy-basically a watered down version of the lamb food the trainer had given us. No, we weren't changing to that food--the trainer likes to use it for 'treats' and just happened to give us one. The vet didn't mention the name of the shot, just said it should help settle his stomach and not to let him eat the rest of the day. It really stung and hurt him when he got it. Maybe I should read up on giardia and/or call the vet if we aren't better tomorrow...thanks for all the help!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

You should just be away that it's out there... your pup may or may not have it... but I found out the hard way that a fecal check is no guarantee that there isn't a parasite wrecking havoc in his system.

In my Giardia thread I mentioned a book that is a really good resource and helped me learn all about those lovely things that cause diarhea... and believe me... there are a lot of things.

My trainer is pretty free with her treats as well... I almost had to physically prevent her from giving Ender a rawhide during graduation : What part of "he isn't allowed those because he could get a blockage" is unclear? She practically insisted I let her give him something and gave him some edible thing and I felt weird 'cause she didn't tell me what it was and I was asking her in front of the whole class like an interrogation... I still wasn't comfortable with it but didn't want to be rude and it was breaking down into small enough pieces I knew it would at least go through his system.

But sure enough... next day... diareha BIG TIME. So now I will politely refuse and if she insists I'll have to get all "mean parent" on her and insist.
    ~Lindsay

Oh and don't think I won't be that way either if it's a problem! I just read your thread on the giardia. Now I am a bit freaked because the past 2-3 weeks Cash has discovered he can swim, and has been swimming in one lake one time, and a pond about 10 times. And he drinks a TON of water in the process. Someone also mentioned stress can trigger it--and Cash was put in his crate for the whole night for the first time last night. Are we the worst parents in the world or what? I am going to check out that book definitely.

Hmmmm, you know the only thing I noticed was that it DIDN'T really smell. Does that mean anything?
    Not necessarily, but it makes me lean a little more towards something he's eating. Try sticking only with the Eukanuba right, use it for treats, and skip the Lamb food. What brand is the lamb-based food?

Of course, now that I type that, I do remember that Jes always got the runs after swimming in ponds, up until he was around 9 or so months of age and his immune system got better.

Sorry I can't help you narrow it down anymore, there are a ton of causes of diarrhea. It really can be a slow process of elimination to make a positive ID of the cause. I'd say if sticking to one food doesn't help, it's either the food you're feeding or the swims.

Okay that's helpful to know--maybe it's just how it will be until he is a little older. I think you are right about moving to one food only. I have thrown away the lamb food wrapper---it was the egg-shaped, individually wrapped kind of food. We had to cut it with a knife it was so hard....then break it into pieces. I wish I could remember the brand.

Was it Royal Canin?

Just found the wrapper: Natural Balance......?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast