4.5 months old and already soo many problems...pfff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.5 months old and already soo many problems...pfff

Default4.5 months old and already soo many problems...pfff

I have been in and out of the Vet's office the last couple of weeks
    first for an ear infection still working on that by rinisng his ears out 2x a week for a month.
    Then for his eyes that are dirty a bit too often so we have eye drops for that
    and now he has blood in his poop. It sort of starts normal and then he poops again
    little more runny and the last time he really strains and he has a little blood coming out.
    I have been to the Vet to ask but the girl said if it is just a little blood just keep an eye
    on it and he should be allright, but it has continued for the last couple of days.
    So what do you guys think? What should I do..... ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 4.5 months old and already soo many problems...pfff

Pooping blood is not normal - whether it is a little bit or a lot. I would have him evaluated by a vet ASAP. If your vet doesn't think it is a problem then perhaps you need another vet.

As far as goopy ears and eyes - it could be allergies, inhalent or food. What are you feeding him? Goopy ears often clear up with a change to a food that is free of wheat and corn.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Is he up to date with his worming? That can cause blood in faeces.

Won't someone please feed me!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If he's eating everything and anything like most pups do the bloody poop (if it's just occasionally and a little bit) can be due to him irritating his bowels because of what is passing through it.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry you have to deal with so many health issues with your puppy. I agree about finding a new vet if the current one does not thing blood in poop can be ignored. Hope Tasman gets better soon.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

If it were me... and believe me.. it was... I would demand/insist the vet (or a new one) do a fecal exam PLUS snap test for giardia and other parasites.

We did $18 fecal exam after fecal exam with Ender... negative negative negative...

so finally one morning I became so frustrated... I mean I could just TELL something was not right... and it wasn't just a diet problem... I called and was like "surely you have other tests you can run on him or his poop... I know some parasites don't show up under a normal fecal test"

Vet said... "oh we have a complete fecal exam we can give which includes Giardia snap test etc. that is $54"... I was like "go for it.. I HAVE to know at this point"... so they did... and his test came back positive for Giardia.. who KNOWS how long he'd had it... I mean we had dealt with on/off loose poop for over a month at this point.

Now of course we are attempting to solve THAT problem which is a bit of a long road but we're getting there.
    ~Lindsay

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Poor Tasman! I hope he recovers soon. I know how hard it is to have your puppy be sick and not know what to do about it, or not be able to do anything about it but let it run its course!

CoCo went through diarrhea, but that was cleaned up quickly with a bland diet and deworming.

She's recently developed the goopy eyes lately too. I believe its from air born allergens, not food ones since she has been on the same food all along and this is a new development. We use polysporon drops once a day. They don't seem to bother her, its just that she gets big green goobers on the inside corner of her eye sometimes. I hope that goes away soon!

We also clean her ears with solution from the vet after every swim. So far I think we're clear of ear infections, but I'm sure its just a matter of time!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCosMom
    She's recently developed the goopy eyes lately too.*
    If you add a little bit (about 1 T for an adult dog) of apple cider vinegar too her food the goopy eyes will usually clear up. Use organic ACV with the mother. Bragg is a good one, you can get it at the health food stores. I have also seen it at some grocery storess too.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

The blood in the stool is something I would not ignore and neither should your vet.* The goopy eyes can or cannot be a problem.* Is the goop yellow?* If it is yellow that's a sign or some kind of infection but if it's just eye buggers like we get it's not a problem.* Mocha's always had eye buggers every morning and sometimes when I get home from work (after she's been sleeping for a while)* She's had several vets none of them saw a problem with it unless it turned yellow so I don't worry about it.* Some vets worry me I really think they over medicate just incase to often.

I feel you on the so many problems though. Mocha had a infected abcess (I think from a dirty needle shot but that's another story) that had to be drained and have a drain tube in for 2 weeks at about 4 months old. She had a small mass (tumor) removed from her rump at 9 months old. Plus the normal puppy stuff.

I think you are ALL right, I will try to "catch" a stool sample and ask to have the full exam done on it.
    We have been feeding him Eukenuba LB puppy so that should be allright?

The thing is that he is not unhappy still energetic and always has his tail wagging at a hundred miles an hour,
    I was also thinking he might have eaten something sharp, a shell or something that is scratching on
    the inside of his tummy and causes the blood.....

Will keep you posted...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast