Dog Food

Thread: Dog Food

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog Food

I have read several posts relating to the food everyone feeds their labs. I haven't seen mention of Science Diet LB Puppy. That's what we've been feeding Buddy. Does anyone have an opinion on it? It's quite expensive so I wouldn't mind switching, if there's something better and cheaper. I have never seen some of the brands mentioned here, like the Diamond brand and I can't think of the other ones. We get the SD LB Puppy for about $35/40lb. Buddy doesn't seem real excited to eat it most of the time, in fact a lot of the time we have to sit with him and pour a hand ful of pieces on the ground, he'll eat that, and we keep doing it until he eats what he should for a meal or until he just quits eating. He loves it if I add stuff to it, (tried mashed banana last night, he loved that!) but we don't want to have to do that every time.

Barb

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Dog Food

I feed Bosco Nutro Natural Choice
    LB Puppy Lamb Meal & Rice Formula.
    http://www.nutroproducts.com/

I feed Jaida Natura Innova LB, and we are weening Bali off of Purina and on to the puppy version of Innova. I just liked the ingredients of the Natura products, but I have heard that Diamond and Nutro are pretty good too. Also, Innova is more expensive.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Many people on this forum dislike Hill's Science Diet (I think in large part because for years after other dog food companies switched, Hills still continued to use some food preservatives known to cause cancer in a %age of consumers; but Hills eventually switched and discontinued that practice).

Many dog food mfrs have at least two tiers or qualities/prices for their products -- a deluxe line with higher quality ingredients and fewer fillers, and a low lower level with more fillers.

Among those are Eukanuba & Iams, Nutro Natural Choice & N. Max, ProPlan & Purina One.

There are a number of people on this forum who feed Diamond which is available at many TSC (Tractor Supply) and other farmn outlet and feed stores.* Diamond IS* available in a Large Breed Puppy food for dogs less than a year old.* Its quality of ingredients is similar to the other top line foods mentioned just above (the Euk, Nat'l Chc, ProPln) but it sells for about 60% of their prices because they do not advertise, depending on word of mouth (typically about $18-19 for a 40 lb. bag).

Another even more economical food of the quality of the better foods above is KIRKLAND dog food sold only in COSTCO (warehouse membership clubs). A Kirkland C&R 40 lb. bag sells for about $15 + tax.* But the Kirkland is NOT available in a Large Breed Puppy formulation for Labs up to a year old.* The Kirkland foods are made by the same company that makes the Diamond dog food products.

My Puff (YF, AKC, field line, 63 lbs, dob: 8-'01) has eaten Kirkland since she's been about 18 months age.* She looks forward to each meal with eager anticipation and never fails to give her compliments to the chef each time.* *
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

We DO have a Tractor Supply Co. about 35 miles away, so next weekend I'll go check it out and see if they have Diamond or Nutro food. We did just get a bag of the Science Diet last week so we'll have to use that and then start mixing it with the new food. I like the sound of $18 or $19 a bag much better. We don't have a Costco anywhere nearby, I'd have to go to the Mpls/St. Paul area and I don't get there very often as it's about 100 mi. away.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Diamond is sold by a number of animal feed stores, not just TSC

Try the link below and you may find a closer store. Oh! And not all stores price the same food the same -- compare prices.

http://www.diamondpet.com/DiamondPet/dealer.php
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I found Diamond food here in the town where I work at lunchtime today! I got an 18 lb bag of the LB Puppy Lamb Rice and Veg for $15. It was the ONLY bag they had and it was pretty dusty so I hope it isn't real old or something. I bet I can find it cheaper elsewhere but at least I have some to try now. I also thought about trying ProPlan but decided to go with the Diamond. I hope Buddy likes it!

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

Science Diet gave my dog dry skin and allergies. I like Nutro.

Dani is offline Senior Member

We feed our fosters either Diamond, Nutro or Innova...depending on what we have on hand because of a previous dog. Rider eats Innova EVO. I think Sceince Diet is crap personally.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003