what to use for mild arthritis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to use for mild arthritis

lab13 Guest

Defaultwhat to use for mild arthritis

My ll yr old lab is just starting to get a little stiff when she gets up in the morning.

She is going to have her teeth cleaned this Thursday and after that procedure I want to start her on something to help her so that this stiffness does't get worse or out of hand.

The vet recommends Glyo-Flex 11 but is very $$ up here in Ontario. Our old vet many years ago recommended l aspirin a day with their dinner meal. Someone else recommeded fish oils or glucosamine.

Which should I try? Which ones have you had the most luck with??

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: what to use for mild arthritis

Glucosamine is what we gave our family basset hound as he developed arthritis per vets orders. It seemed to help, but as it progressed he had to begin to take a prescription. Aspirin every once in awhile would be fine with glucosamine (if you decide to go that route), but don't overuse it...it has some unhealthy side effects. I would give maybe 1/2 to 1 tab per day MAX. Poor baby, I hope she feels better soon!

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I would go with your vet's recommendation. Glyco-Flex is completely safe - aspirin is not. I'd try to get some relief for your dog with Glyco-Flex first.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

You may want to also consider Nupro Joint formula. I have a 12 year old here that I just recently started on it. She could not make it down the driveway a month ago. Last weekend she made it all the way down and back twice. I believe their web site is nuproproducts.com.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

If Cosequin is cheaper, that would be an option. It's the only supplement that's been studied and published in peer-reviewed journals. They have a patent on their formula, and it's supposed to be one of the purest out there. Glyco-Flex also has, I believe, a patent on their formula, and although it hasn't been through the same rigorous testing, I don't think it's a sub-par supplement by any stretch. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I just started my Bailey who turned 9 in February of this year on Glyco-Flex II ... I got it from our vet because Bailey seems to be a little slower getting up in the morning and stiff when it's cold and rainy out...she's been on it for a short while already and absolutely no side effects ..

my 9 year old lab has problems with her back legs if she does to much exercise, I mentioned it to my vet and he told me to give her ascriptin, its an aspirin coated with maalox so it doesnt upset her stomach. I works for sidney... I got it at the local grocery store..give it a try. I did here the Glucosamine is good for dogs, I think Im gonna give that a try.....

NaturVet Glucosamine double strength is cheaper than GF-II and worked very well on my older dog. You can add some MSM if you want to be closer to the GF-II formula. NaturVet has an even better product Gold formula but that increases in price. I think the DS works very well.

jakeandmaddysmom Guest

I had a dog with alot of stiffness and found the glucosime sulfate worked great. There was a big difference on the days she didn't get it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I've taken daily G&C for years and always tell the difference when I spend a week not taking it -- then it takes maybe two weeks to build back up the titer to provide relief.

Since Labs are so frequently afflicted with joint problems (and my first Lab, my beloved Bess, was toward the end of her days) I also give Puff some G&C prophylactically, hoping it will be a preventative.

COSTCO's Kirkland G&C was recently evaluated by Consumer Reports as the best of the brands they tested.* It's about 10 - 15 cents (US) a tablet (G HCl 1500 mg; C Sulf 1200 mg) -- certainly well under 20 cents.

IF you have a COSTCO available, you might look.* COSTCO also sells online to those who are members.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast