Vaccination Reactions
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaccination Reactions

DefaultVaccination Reactions

Curious, have any of your dogs had a reaction to a "rabies" vaccination, and how long after the shot did it occur?* The reason I'm asking is because my dog is due for her regular shots and rabies at close to the same time.* I'm trying to space them a little so that she doesn't get too much at once.* *I'm also going away and want to make sure it's done before then....however don't want her to have a reaction while I'm away....not that this is likely.* If they do have any reaction is it usually within days or can it be longer....likes a couple of weeks?

TIA.* I probably worry too much.*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Vaccination Reactions

No one's had a problem after vaccines???

Nope. I think reactions are pretty rare. I think you're doing the right thing by spacing them out, and if you give the rabies every three years and the parvo/distemper/etc. every three years you're really reducing the amount of vaccinations compared to the old recommendations of annual vaccs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm spacing them as much as I can under the circumstances.* I'd prefer to have them done in separate years...which is what we will do in future.

I seem to have read numerous times on here about people thinking there dogs had had a reaction to their vaccination, but I guess it must be very uncommon.* I wasn't really referring to a "major" reaction, which would probably happen almost immediately if it was going to, but more just feeling off/under the weather.

Thanks for replying Nick.

No problem. I've got them staggered as well, where he gets rabies one year, the others the following year, and then no more for 2 years (then obviously repeat the cycle). I don't think you're being overly cautious, I think the rabies is more likely to cause a reaction (or so I'm told), but it's still relatively uncommon.

labradork mom is offline Member

I just took one of my labs to the vet for her yearly vaccinations. I discussed this exact subject with my vet because my Gracie has alot of allergies and is sensitive to alot of things. She is four years old now and the first two years we split the shots up and last year we did them all at once with no problem. So we did them all at once again this year, again no problem. My vet said if they are going to have a reaction to the shots it will happen within 20 minutes and usually involves severe vomiting.

Not with my lab, but with my 4 year old shepard/huskey mix. I took him in for his annual rabies shot, but it was at a new vet because we moved so Im not real convinced it was a reaction, but more like lack of care or maybe even an expired vaccine (havent brought him there since, need-less-to-say) But anyways...... it was like a day or two after when I found him lying helpless and he couldnt life his head and had urinated (not like him at all) all over the living room and right underneath where he was lying. We rushed him to the animal hospital and he wound up having 3 blood transfusions and 3000 dollars later he is OK now. The vet said they couldnt pin point exactly what happened, but when I questioned the vet that gave him the shot, I wasnt really happy with his way of answering me or treating me. I believe it was a "bad" vaccine. Presently he is ok, but he never had allergies before this whole mess, and now he has a severe case of them and is on prednisone and enjoys life a little bit slower than before.

I had a puppy have a reaction to a Rabies vaccine a long time ago. It was delayed by about 6 hours. Face swelled. Gave her Bendryl for a couple of days. End of story. Never gave the same manufacturer again, never had a problem with any other shot. Just delay the regular shot. No big deal if they have had 3 as a pup, or even older. With the new protecols I don't worry about time so much. Rabies though you legally have done.

Reactions do happeen and usually within the first 6 to 8 hours, after 24 you should be OK. The lepto vaccine causes more reactions then any of the other, so we give it as seperate shot. I also like to space rabies and the distemper/parvbo shot at least a month apart. But with the dogs I have now I do a 3 yr rabies and every other year with distemper/parvo.

For those who are saying you give yearly vaccinations - why?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast