If I loose my dog?????

Thread: If I loose my dog?????

DefaultIf I loose my dog?????

My dog Lya is not doing so very well. She has very bad allergies and the medication is not helping and making her worse in some ways. If I ever lost her, how should someone go about getting a Labrador that does not have allergies?

I have visions of my husband saying never again to a Labrador while my friend Lya is and has been the best dog anyone could ask for. He loves her too, it is just that the insurance would not even cover these allergies as they called her "predisposed" so you cannot even protect yourself with insurance.

Thanks,

Morgan with Lya and Friend Rocco

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: If I loose my dog?????

Probably the best thing is to get a Lab from a responsible breeder who shows and competes in either AKC or UKC events and/or hunting a field trial events.* They typically sell their "pet quality" dogs* that do not have quite the conformation to compete in events.

Labby/Laura has a good article on choosing a breeder on her http://www.woodhavenlabs.com

Look for one of that title there in the articles section.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

If I'm understanding your question, you're asking how you might go about finding a lab, in the future, that doesn't have allergies. Bob's answer seemed, to me, as though he's suggesting getting a lab from a responsible breeder might be your solution (to a lab that doesn't have allergies).

His advice is good, for finding a lab. But getting one from a good reputable breeder won't, I don't think, guarantee you'll be free from allergy problems.

Mine's from a reputable breeder...active in conformation, obedience, and even field trial events. Yet mine has allergies; they're under control, but he's started having what the vet believes may be seasonal allergies.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

How old is she and what types of allergies is she having? Has everything been ruled out, including food allergies? It might be something as simple as changing her food.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I also wonder what kind of allergy testing your pup has had. My Aly, at one point, had chewed all the hair off her rear end, had endless ear infections, and a running nose. She and we were competely miserable. We did allergy testing t the vet, and she ended up needing allergy shots. She still gets a bit ichy, but is doing much, much better.

I don't know how to end up with a lab w/o allergies. My Jacob came from a good breeder and he has seasonal allergies, although not as bad as Aly's.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

DefaultRe: If I loose my dog?????...UPDATE better news

Lya had her first allergy shot yesterday...finally. Plus, there are signs that the new Atopica may be working. Maybe things are looking up!

We tested her for airborn allergins in February.* I am thinking that the dermatologist was waiting on the allergy shots until he saw how she reacted to a change in food.* We got the food problem corrected.* Then the other things started to explode with spring.

I am rather pissed about this but he has not started the shots yet.* They were paid for and supposedly ordered last month but they never ordered them.

She was on prednisone but just in the last four days she has been unable to hold her urine, so she was taken off of that.* They are trying Atopica (which is a fortune) but they say it only works in about 50% of dogs.

I just feel like the doors are closing and she is not much better* in the Spring and Summer.

I have little allergy experience but from what I have read there are many holistic approaches that have shown to be effective. A RAW diet can also help. You may also want to see 2nd vet who could possibly offer a different view.

I don't think it's possible to have a guarantee that your lab won't have allergies. And I would beware a breeder who offers you that guarantee!!!! Guinness is 5 years old now & started to develop environmental allergies 2 years ago. A breeder has as much control over allergies as parents do of their children developing them.