Persistant Giardia... oh la...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Persistant Giardia... oh la...

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultPersistant Giardia... oh la...

Well... Ender has "persistant" giardia...

recap: 2 weeks ago we tested for giardia and it was positive. Started on 5 doses of Panacur, first dose triggered vomiting (7 times in a row)... took a day off.. then took the rest of the 4 does just fine.

Now... another snap test has determinded that the giardia is still there. (Which I expected 'cause his stool isn't 100%)

So.. vet says another 5 days.

I'm a bit miffed at this because Labby Laura told me that 5 just isn't enough and Ender needs 7 days on, 7 days off, 5 days on to really get it under control but the Vet says "the recommended treatment is 3 days dosage". BLEH...

Oh... Ender weighs 50 lbs now
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Persistant Giardia... oh la...

As I think Labby's said, giardia is always there, you just deal with the symptoms. I know she does the full two rounds of Panacur. I just give metronitazole until they have a normal firm poop, which usually only takes a dose or two.

Well his poops HAVE gotten better ... just not completely firm. Oh and I know it never goes away... but I thought once it's "dormant" it wouldn't show up in the stool any more.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Giardia is triggered by stress. It is always there.

I don't use Pancur when Rider gets it. We use a different med....i can't remember the pills but he takes them once daily for 10 days. Always cures it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Could you be feeding too much? That'll cause loose stools.

Nope... I make it a point to feed him less than what he is "supposed" to get... I figure if he starts getting skinny I'll up it... (he gets 3-4 cups of ProPlan LB Puppy... depending on level of activity that day... the bag suggests like 5 cups I think)

Still.. the snap test came back positive for Giardia... I would assume this means he has ACTIVE giardia that he needs meds to get under control... I know it will never be gone completely but I would imagine that if it goes dormant it wouldn't show up in his stool.
    ~Lindsay

Lindsay, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it took me four months to get Jes finally under control. He battled coccidia and giardia for a long time. I guess he had a weak immune system, and it took several rounds of Panacur and Albon to take care of both. We had to use probiotics, too, since he was on antibiotics for so long.

I suggest using probiotics rather than the yogurt. Yogurt alone really doesn't have enough to help his GI tract. Get the refrigerated ones from the health food store; that's what I used.

Nick...

yeah I know it's a persistant bug... I just wish the vet didn't require a snap test after each round... I mean those things add up and if he still has loose stool, isn't it obvious he needs more medication? I mean we *know* he has this parasite, does it really require a snap test every time to convince the vet that he needs another round of panacur?

Venting here just a bit...
    ~Lindsay

Dani is offline Senior Member

yeah, but you will have to learn to differentiate between regular loose stools and giardia. Rider gets it once a year. Usually when I am traveling. He gets a bout of loose stool about once a month, either from the neighbor giving him raw hide (a big no no), him swimming a ton and swallowing a gallon of water, or after getting home from an agility trial...where he gets nervous because I am nervous.

I don't know how Ender is, but I can definately tell when Rider has it. He's gassier, and his farts and poo have a very DISTINCT smell.

Your vet does a specific test for giardia? I just get charged a $10 fecal everytime I bring a sample in....I don't even have to bring Rider in. If you are paying more than just a regular fecal, I'd be pissed too.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast