Diamond Lamb and Rice: New Ingredients. . Do I switch?

Thread: Diamond Lamb and Rice: New Ingredients. . Do I switch?

Emyly is offline Senior Member

DefaultDiamond Lamb and Rice: New Ingredients. . Do I switch?

We were at our local TSC this weekend and saw that the bag had changed for Diamond's Lamb and Rice. It's called Diamond Naturals: Lamb & Rice (gotta be a marketing thing). A little voice in my head said "Compare the ingredients!!".

Here are the first ten ingredients in the old formula (I have a bag left): (I bolded the different ingredients)

Lamb meal, brewer's rice, brown rice, rice flour, fish meal, chicken fat, egg product, beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavors.

Here are the first ten ingredients in the new formula:

Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, fish meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor.

The guaranteed analysis is the same.

Obviously, once I'm through this bag (taking into account mixing the new with the old toward the end) I will be 'switching' either to the new formula or another brand altogether. What do you think? I need to stay at $20 or less for a 40 lb bag.

Disclaimer: I'm aware of the recalls. . . The plant where ours comes from was not implicated in any way, and my dogs have done very well on Diamond, so that is not my worry here. I'm mainly worried about the new formula.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Diamond Lamb and Rice: New Ingredients. . Do I switch?

I was under the impression that it's not a change, but rather a new line. I may be mistaken, though. Their "Naturals" line is very much like their Premium Edge line. Personally, I wouldn't change as the new ingredients look a little bit better (I'm not saying the old ones were bad).

No, you're right...I just looked at their website and I don't see the plain 'ole Diamond Lamb and Rice. At one point, they had both foods on their website, now it's just the Naturals. I guess you will either have to change foods or go with the new one, but I don't think the new one will pose any problems at all. The ingredients they replaced are less likely to elicit an allergic response, so I would mix that in with the old food when you get low, like you said, and stick with it if they're doing well on the Diamond L&R.

Someone that feeds Kirkland may be able to chime in, but don't these changes also bring it closer in line with the Kirkland L&R formula as well as the Premium Edge foods?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Nick.
    ~Em~

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I fed my Puff the COSTCO/Kirkland L&R for several years.*

Our nearest COSTCO store is about 75 miles away so, sometimes, whenever the drive was inconvenient, I'd temporarily feed Puff some locally available Diamond L&R which was VERY similar in ingredients and kcals.

THEN Kirkland changed its ingredients and listed a LOT of natural ingredients -- carrots, peas -- maybe even parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme* *?* BUT* in addition, the first five ingredients in the Kirkland L&R also listed rice or rice derivatives too many times for my comfort.* While the Kirkland C&R ALSO listed the carrots, peas, cranberries, etc., there was NOT anywhere near as much rice listed among the top ingredients.

So we switched to the Kirkland C&R and I think Puff likes it better -- certainly no worse.

(X-posted from Lab Chat)
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Dani is offline Senior Member

I don't think you need to switch. the Naturals actually looks better content wise.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I'd stick with it; it's actually better now!

You can always switch later, if you see any problems come up.

How much is the Naturals?

I just called the store and they said it's 19.98. Just about a dollar more than the old stuff, which isn't enough to really matter.

I think I will go with the new formula. Thanks for the input everyone!!
    ~Em~

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I just got one of the new bags too. Noticed that it smells different.