Demodex again

Thread: Demodex again

DefaultDemodex again

Help - Vito and his demodex - things look worse

He was treated with Ivermectin - one injection a week for three weeks. Vet also gave me the Mitaban dip to use at home.. All the research I did showed that the two should not be used together, so I didn't use the dip at all.Three weeks have gone by since the last injection,and it seems to have got a lot worse, it has now seemed to have spread to the tips of his ears too, and what was there before looks even worse. There are now pustules under his muzzle which the vet gave me Fuciderm gel for. I did use the dip last weekend, and this past weekensd also, but I am gettting more and more worried now.
    I am aware that Mitaban is very toxic - Vito is eating breakfast and dinner, but reluctantly, and this morning he has refused his food completely.
    Obviously I am going back to the vet ASAP but any extra suggestions would be extremely welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

DefaultRe: Demodex again

How old is he? Where are the lesions - around his eyes? Sometimes it's best to treat only topically and in time the immune system kicks in and the lesions go away. I too would be hesitant to continue the treatments he is on right now - they sound too aggressive.

This was my original post.....

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...ic,4963.0.html

He is nearly 4. It seemed to be getting a bit better with the neem oil, but now not really.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately this is what sometimes happens in these cases when it just starts out around the eyes and you go to the vet and they treat it aggressively. The best thing in that case is to boost the immune system with Omega fatty acids supplements. Yes it is possible the sirgery depressed his immune system for awhile. There is a spray that is all natural and can be used on the face called Pet Solution Rx that helps the pustiles go away. I would also get him on a supplemet. The change for the better will be slow.

See a holistic vet. I didn't do any of those treatments. I started with the Ivermectin then decided to stop. I add Nupro to her food, feed her a good diet and "try" to keep her stress free. It took many months, but she is finally demodex free now for the first time since last October. A lot of times, their immune systems have to "kick" in. By using the Mitaban and Ivermectin, you are taking control of their immune system, so when you stop those treatments, the demodex comes back because nothing has really changed from "the inside out", so to speak. Make sure you're feeding a quality food and supplement to boost the natural immune system.

Thanks for replying...
    I am now at my wits end. He looks so awful, and I just know he is not feeling ok - all of a sudden he is not really keen for breakfast and dinner. He seems happy enough though - loving and wanting to be with me 24/7. God I love him so so much but any way...... though definitely more lethargic
    He is having daily:
    Pro Plan Lamband Rice (not keen to eat )
    Omega 3 (fish oils)(130mg x 2)
    Vitamin E800iu
    Vitamin C 800mg
    Zinc400mg

He has now gort patches on his ear tips, whic according to Callie
    http://www.critturs.com/ is ringworm

Nupro is not available in Ireland, and I do not have a credit card so cannot get it via internet

I really am at a loss

The ringworm is something totally different. If you are talking to Callie, you are getting excellent advice!! I would go with her plan for the demodex and get the proper meds, etc. for the ringworm. Wash your hands, ringworm is contagious.

Great
    I am sucking in every word Callie says.
    I cannot BELIEVE he has ringworm as well, what the bloody hell is going on??

Oh my gosh! We are going through the same thing with Adama. I posted about a week ago because she was missing fur from around her eye, so I took her to the vet. Our doctor didn't think it was Demodex because it was just around the eyes... and she said she thought it was ringworm. We're waiting on test results for that now...

The vet didn't tell me that ringworm was CONTAGIOUS! Gosh! And all she gave me was a tube of Neobacimyx Ointment until we get the test results.

Can you post pics? This loss of fur thing sure is frustrating! Poor dogs - I hope your guy feels better soon!