UTI's and inverted vulva
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UTI's and inverted vulva

DefaultUTI's and inverted vulva

My 7 month old lab, Ellie, has an inverted vulva and chronic urinary tract infections. She has been on and off antibiotics since she was 10 weeks old. The longest we have been able to go without being on meds is 5 days. The vet has told us to keep her on antibiotics until she has a heat. He is hoping that the estrogen will help her vulva pop out some. The plan is to then spay her and do a surgical repair of the vulva, if necessary. We have been diligent about wiping her with hypoallergenic wipes each time she urinates. She also takes acidophilus and cranberry.

My question is: has anyone else had a dog with an inverted vulva and chronic uti's which was resolved by a heat cycle?
    Thanks so much for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: UTI's and inverted vulva

I had a dog with this several years back - we let her go through a heat and she never had another problem. This is really pretty common. If you let her go through a heat cycle that should take care of things for her.

Try adding Vitamin C. The repair should not be necessary after her heat. Hang in there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fortunately my pup never had any UTI's, but we let her go through a heat cycle due to this problem and it pretty much fixed it. My understanding is that in the majority of cases a heat cycle will cause the vulva to pop up into a normal position and hopefully this will alleviate the UTI's.... if that's what's causing them. The heat cycle process is a bit of messy carry on, and you have to be very vigilent that your pup doesn't have any opportunity to be with a male dog, but it sure beat having to do a surgery.

There is an article on Inv. Vulva's on the site below titled "Ins and Outs of Puppy Vulvas" that you might like to read:

www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles.html

Hope all goes well for your puppy and you don't have to wait too long for her heat cycle.

Thank you all for the input. Ellie's had an ultrasound to make sure there is nothing else going on with her besides the inverted vulva. The vet repeats bloodwork once a month to monitor her while on the antibiotics. I worry about her being on antibiotics all the time. However, each time we try to stop them she develops another infection.

She has been seen by a surgeon and 3 other vets and the feeling is that she will probably need some repair of the vulva after her heat. Poor Ellie! I have never had a dog come into heat and it doesn't sound like much fun. We are supposed to take her with us to the beach this summer. Hopefully, she will have her heat before then.

Thanks again!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Chances are the heat cycle will fix the vulva issue, and I would wait some time after she has finished her heat before you even address it with the vets again. It can take several weeks for the swelling to completely subside after the heat.

As long as you are dilligent about keeping an eye on your dog and don't mind keeping her in pants with a sanitary pad in there, the heat really isn't that bad. From my experience, and we have an intact male in our house, it was easy to keep them apart for the 3 weeks of the cycle. So if she's your only dog, and you have a good fenced yard and you plan to keep an eye on her at all times, the time will fly by.

She has been seen by a surgeon and 3 other vets and the feeling is that she will probably need some repair of the vulva after her heat.
    I would agree with CYN. Don't get talked into it unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks for all the great input. The vet has recommended that we wait for 2 months after her heat to decide about any surgery. She has been doing well but will remain on antibiotics until then.

our pup is 8 months old and has had what they told us were several UTI's - she's been on antibiotics but can't seem to get rid of them... last week our vet did a cysto (where they stick a needle in the bladder and draw the sample form there) - it turns out she does not have UTI's, she has puppy vaginitis - the actual urine was clean- it's the way out that it was getting gunked up... our vet said spaying her will fix the problem... but I've also heard people say to go through one heat cycle- our vets recommend spaying...not sure which is the right way... our evt has also recommended possible surgery to open things up down there for her...

I hope Dakota is feeling better. Ellie has had cystocenesis twice (to obtain uncontaminated urine sample- both positive). She also had an ultrasound to make sure nothing else is going on with her. She continues on antibiotics, probiotics, cranberry, and vitamin C and will stay on them until her heat. I don't know much about puppy vaginitis. Would it help to wipe her after she urinates? Good Luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast