Not sure what to think!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to think!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot sure what to think!

Took Sammi to the vet today, have alway's really liked our vet. But it seem's with Sammi that he is really pushing allot of supplement's, shampoo's, and ear treatment etc.- because I have never owned a lab as an adult would like some input, does this seem normal to all you veteran, lab owners. Just as an example, he is pushing a shampoo(of course they sell it at their office), Sammi does have some dandruff, but no itching or hot spot's. Told me today that I should be giving her a bath every two week's (which I currently am not doing because I thought it would be harder on her skin and coat). He also suggested that I start her on glucosimine. Quess a Pharmacy rep. came by and was telling him about the benefit's of starting Labs on supplements early because of them being prone to Hip problem's. When Sammi first came from the breeder she did have a rash in her ear's, but that cleared up with a couple of week's worth of medicine, He now wants me to use this special med to clean her ear's every couple of day's. Once again she has no symptom's of ear problem's at this time. I'm not trying to be suspect, and really do want to do what's best for Sammi, but this just seem's over the top. Never had this with my other animal's, and they lived long and healthy life's. Sorry this is so long, but would really like your help here. Thank's for any help you can give- Sammi's mom-

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Not sure what to think!

I'm not a real veteran lab owner, since mine's only 15 mos. When he was younger, they gave me a bottle of MalAcetic Otic; suggested cleaning his ears once a week, and after swimming. He swims a lot in a nearby pond. At his 1 yr. check, I asked for and bought another big bottle. He hasn't had a bath yet in his life, and the vet once gave me a small bottle of a medicated shampoo we soaked his paws in when they were red. Other than that, they don't suggest anything else as part of a normal routine.

He's going to the vet this morning, in fact. I made the appt. 'cause his paws are a bit red and he started licking them. This happened before, and they're thinking possible allergies. They gave him pills before that he took for about 10 days.

So, no, other than specific things for specific problems, my vet doesn't suggest glucosamine or anything else.

I'm not questioning your vet in any way; just telling you of my experiences.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Actually, a lot of breeders do suggest supplementing with Cosequin or glucosimine for dogs...I kinda of wish I would have started Rider sooner.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I had a vet that was pushing their products a lot it seemed... I switched vets and lo and behold.... new vet didn't say "buy this food, buy this shampoo, use THIS ear stuff"

That being said... Ender swims so it is important to me that we have something that works for his ears so I DID ask for and buy their ear cleaning solution. I also ordered "the purple stuff" which I just received but haven't used yet.

Personally... if a vet ever "pushes" a product on me, I am going to say "well I'll think about it but today we really just need such and such" and I will go on the web and research the stuff first before I will buy from the vet.

This lack of trust probably comes from that first vet that was so blatant about selling their in house products.
    ~Lindsay

The only thing that sounds logical is the glucosamine - it is good the start a supplement in the earlier years before you actually have a problem.
    Shampooing a dog every two weeks sound like a disaster waiting to happen. You strip all the beneficial oils from your dogs skin and coat and end up with a bigger mess. I clean ears only when they need cleaing..my theory is don't mess with it if there isn't a problem.

Eric

Di

Thank's for verify some of my concerns. As of yet, other then the ear solution that I use once or twice a wk., I haven't bought any of the product's. Am considering the glucosomine, but will probably not buy it from the vet. Quess my other problem is I have just lost my trust in the vet, always want to make sure he has Sammi's best interest in mind, not just selling a product. So it might be time to move on to another vet.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Consumer Reports recently rated Costco's house brand (Kirkland) the tops in human G&C. I've been giving Puff a tablet a day since she turned one.

Unfortunately, vets are not limited (as are physicians) from selling stuff and many of them make half of their income from those sales and bonuses and incentives from mfrs.

Look for another vet.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Di

that was another question I have, at just 18 wk's old is sammi a little to young to start the glucosamine?

Callie's Breeder suggested glou/chron supplements immediately along with Pet Tabs. I think it depends on the breeder as to whether or not they suggest supplementation earlier rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by dipete
    that was another question I have, at just 18 wk's old is sammi a little to young to start the glucosamine?
    It depends on who you ask. Some breeders prefer to wait until their at 9-12 months of age before beginning, and I don't know if there's a consensus as to when to begin.

I don't know that starting from the day you get your pup will pose any advantage to waiting until they're done growing. Glucosamine and chondroitin do not prevent hip dysplasia, but they can help reduce the loss of cartilage due to aging or other problems like hip dysplasia. I would talk it over with your breeder to see what age he/she recommends starting the supplement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast