slow metabolism

Thread: slow metabolism

labradork mom is offline Member

Defaultslow metabolism

I took my 4 year old female black lab for her yearly vet checkup and shots yesterday. She weighs 109 lbs!!
    Of course we discussed her diet which consists of 1 cup of Iams weight control food in the morning and 1 milkbone and 1 cup of the same in the evening. I have two other dogs who eat exactly the same and they are not overweight. The vet says that after looking Gracie over he does not believe that she is a candidate for a thryroid check. She has a beautiful shiny black coat with no other signs that she would have a thryroid problem. She is not a very active lab as we live in Florida and she is not very tolerant to the heat. She will start swimmining in the pool again. The vet says that I shouldn't worry to much as she is a very big boned and stocky block head kind of lab and that she has a very slow metabolism even her heart rate is slow. Does anyone else have a lab like this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: slow metabolism

my half-lab, half greyhound is very active [although recuperating from knee surgery right now.]
    she is my biggest dog, at 85-lbs, and yet to stay ''slimmish'' needs less than 1/2 the food of the 2 labs--she gets only about 2 cups a day with treats included, any more & she fats-up. some are just ''easy-keepers''!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Our Shadow also gets only 2 cups of kibble per day - one about 5:00 am and the second about 1:00 pm. Then she gets half a can of rinsed green beans around 8:00 pm, with a couple of wheat-free cookies in the evening and a frozen Kong for a treat when I leave for work. The Kong has one finger of Canidae wheat-free biscuit, fat-free yogurt, and enough peanut butter to seal each end.

Shadow is not a very active dog, either. I had her thyroid tested and she shows as low-normal. She lays around all day while I am at work, then we do retrieves when I get home until she starts laying down so I won't throw any more. We stop then.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Nope...mine are the opposite. They have fast metabolisms. They need 3 cups a day at the very least to keep weight on them!