Inside Dog?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside Dog?

DefaultInside Dog?

My 4yr old lab has lived outside most of her life. I mean she comes inside if its cold, or to just hang out. But sometime she comes in for 5 minutes and it takes me 25 minutes to clean up all the hair. I,m getting ready to move out on my own and want her to be an inside dog, but don't want to be constantly cleaning. Is there anything you can give them to reduce shedding, or would this be unhealthy? Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Inside Dog?

Labs will always shed. Good diet, regular brushing will reduce it somewhat, but they will always shed.

I hope that you bring your dog in from outside anyways, she deserves to be inside.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

labs shed year round and can have seasonal shedding on top of that.
    it's pretty much a breed trait.

i would not recommend giving them anything to reduce the shedding, but you can brush the fur on a regular basis to get a lot of the dead hair off the body. a good quality dog food can also help them have a nice shiny coat and reduce the amount of dead hair falling off.

we all pretty much have to vacuum, vacuum, vacuum to keep up with all the hair or just learn to live with it.

back when i had 5 labs in my house, i had one foster lab that was a monster shedder. i actually resorted to putting a t-shirt on her to manage all the hair, and that did seem to help. i have also heard that dogs that transition into an indoor life may shed a lot at first, but that gets better with time.

you'll love having your dog inside with you. my dogs are pretty much always where i am (even in the bathroom). they are great indoor companions, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

[I hope that you bring your dog in from outside anyways, she deserves to be inside.
    Actually she deserves love and attention, which she gets an abundance of!!! We both enjoy sitting outside together, or going swimming after I get off of work. So don't think she just gets thrown in the yard!!!

I agree with Dani...I'm also someone who believes that it's incredibly selfish of people to have dogs but keep them outside. People need to do the leg work ahead of time...Labs are a shedding breed and if that's an issue for you, it's not the breed for you.

Just because we keep our dogs outside doesn't mean we don't love them as much (or more) than you love your "inside dogs" They're dogs....they poop outside, they pee outside, they chase cats and squirrels outside...I'm pretty sure they like it out there...

Don't get me wrong, I would let my dogs in if I could, but they're such a mess and not because of the shedding. They also have lots more room outside to run and inside they are all cooped up and can't romp and play like they can outside.

I disagree. Dogs are pack and den animals, they wouldn't choose to live outside by themselves.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would let my dogs in if I could, but they're such a mess and not because of the shedding
    What did you expect from a Labrador?

My advice for those don't like the shedding....get a Poodle!!

I also can't stand to see pet dogs outside. Honestly, what is the point? my dogs are part of my family and I can't even imagine keeping them outside 24/7. It defeats the perpose of having a dog.

curly is offline Senior Member

We are training Zakk to be an inside/outside dog.... most of which will be inside. I am really leaning towards having Zakk outside during the day while we are at work and inside at night when we can spend "quality" time with him.

My first lab would not go in my house, granted he was outdoors after his "puppy" stage which he spent in the garage. I tried on numerous occasions to introduce him to being inside but he would have nothing to do with it. In fact, Nuno would bark until I put him in his kennel at night and closed the door (he was outside where he had free roam of the yard and access to the kennel but was not "secure" until he was in there). I always brought him into the garage if the weather was nasty (too cold, bad storms, etc.)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast