Just Labradors banner

Uh-oh!! Diahrrea.... YUCK!!!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Guinnness 
#1 ·
Well, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what to do to treat diahrrea? On Sunday morning.... Guinness managed to eat an entire dish of cat food. Now, he has had diahrrea since then. He doesn't seem to be feeling sick as he is just as active as he usually is... but has been drinking a substantial increased amount of water. I'm gonna try him on a bland diet for a little while... boiled chicken/or ground beef & rice to see if that helps @ all. By any chance does anyone know how much I should be feeding him of this? He's 95lbs. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

#2 ·
I know that canned pumpkin helps to settle stomachs and harden stools. If he's still sick in the morning, I would take him to your vet asap. I wouldn't think that one dish of cat food from Sunday should still be affecting his stomach.

Please keep us posted. Hope he feels better!

#3 ·
That's what I have heard as well about the pumpkin... but, I think I will take him to the vet before I try anything like that. I think that the cat food should be outta his system by now too... Although, it was a dish with 4 large sections. I am wondering if some of the ingredients could have caused him to be sick... Just not sure if it should have lasted this long!!!! It's just frustrating because he was just @ the vet on Thursday for a check up after an ear infection. The vet gave him a once over & said that he was doin' well... )His allergies have been bad this season & he got an ear infection after swimming) Vet bills this month have totalled almost $400!!!! Mind you, that includes his heartworm & flea meds etc. However, it's only June 13th & we've been to the vet 3 times!!!!! And as much as I wish it were possible... we can't afford him to be @ the vet every week.

#4 ·
Never fails that as soon as you make and go to a vet appointment... the next day or two is when your lab gets sick... happens to me EVERY time.

A fecal exam is quick, relatively inexpensive and can rule out a few things that cause diahrrea. Just might want to do that if he continues to act "okay" except for the loose stool.

G
#5 ·
Have you tried resting his gut entirely? That means nothing but water for 24 hours. Then start with very small meals of white rice. After several of those, try adding in boiled beef or cooked chicken.

You might want to try Pepcid AC to settle the stomach.

#6 ·
The fact that you know what he ate is helpful. We got Lamb and Rice dog food once instead of Chicken and Rice and it looked like someone strapped a jet to Oona's butt. :eek: As long as he is hydrated I would wait 24 hours before he got anything and then I would feed him a bland diet for a couple of days. After a few days gradually have him go back on his own food.
Olie

#7 ·
Well, it's a very bland diet for Guinness... YUCK! Vet suggested boiled groundbeef & rice for a few days... Plus.. 4 tablets of pepto bismol 2x daily to help settle his stomach. The did eat today... but hasn't had a bowel movement since this morning.. I'm hoping that's a good sign.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.