Parvo...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parvo...

DefaultParvo...

Bo was sick when I got up this morning, like he felt sick to his stomach. His mouth looked like he had been foaming or he had thrown up. I thought he had just eaten something that didn't agree with him, but then he started jerking and shaking so I got scared. My mother and I took him to the vet and she said it was definately Parvo so she started the treatment. She told us to bleach everywhere he had been and where he had gone to the bathroom. I'm worried that Riley will or already has gotten it. The vet sent home with us a booster to give Riley.

I just wanted to know if there were any of you who had a young dog that had gotten Parvo and they lived. I'm scared.Even though the vet said he has a better chance of survival because he's big and we brought him in as soon as he got sick, I can't stop crying. I need you guys to reassure me or prepare me for the worst, whatever you think. What are his chances? :'(

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Parvo...

good thoughts and prayers for Bo- we lost a 6 month pup to parvo-every case is different

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry. I'vd heard of alot of pups from this site that live through it. Your chances are good. My friend Irene's dog Charlie, who is 1-1/2 now, was hospitalized with it when he was a baby. I'll ask her to post here for you.

Hang in there.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

How much does the treatment cost? We had to pay a $50 deposit, but they didn't tell us how much the full treatment was going to cost.

Parvo is extremely dangerous in young pups. They usually die from dehyrdration because the vomiting and diarrhea are uncontrollable. The vet will use IVs to try to keep the pup hydrated and will use different meds to help with the vomiting and diarrhea. It isn't going to be cheap. It could be anywhere from $500-$1000+ depending on how long the pup has to stay in the hospital.

You are smart for getting the pup in to the vet quickly. Time is of the essence in this situation. Prognosis is better for pups who are treated quickly. Many people wait 24-48 hrs after the diarrhea starts and by then the dehydration is already severe so many pups can not recover. Keep a close eye on Riley and get him in to the vet immediately if you see any symptoms starting.

Parvo is very contagious. It can live in the soil for months. This is why young pups should never be taken out in public places until after they've received their vaccines. I even require visitors to my home to remove their shoes and wash their hands before handling a young pup because Parvo can travel in on your shoes and body as well. Make sure you sterilze everything the pup has come in contact with...bedding, toys, food/water bowls, concrete, soil, sheets, etc.

JessieLea,
    Hi, this is Irene, Amy's friend

Charlie was only 7 weeks old when he got Parvo and today he is a 1 1/2 year old 90 pounder! He is a rescue pup and all of his siblings (4) had it and all survived. He spent about 9 days in the hospital on IV and supportive therapy. The vet said there is nothing to do but let the virus run its course and give supportive therapy like antibiotics and fluids.

I too cried a lot . I will keep you in my thoughts and keep us posted. It sounds like your puppy is older and bigger so that is great. Did he have any of the Parvo shots before he got sick? Charlie had one and the vet said that also helps.

Yes, we bleached everything he was around. I threw out all of his toys too and just got him new ones when he came home. since he was only doing his business in one area of the driveway at that time (it was Feb. and there was snow on the ground) we were able to just bleach that area.

As for cost, I can't say as we have the most wonderful vet who also worked with the rescue group. He only charged us for one of each supportive treatment so the bill came to under $300. Unfortunately, I do know that one of the other puppies humans put out about $2500 for their puppy's treatment.

Keep us informed.

Luckily, Bo didn't have any bad symptoms when we took him in. He was just kind of lethargic and he ignored food and water (very strange for him). As for the bleaching, that will be a challenge. I think we will just throw most everything away. The person I got my dogs from vaccinated them with something called "7 Way" that was supposed to have had something for Parvo in it. Bo has been at the vet's for about 3 hours now. I asked my mother how much the treatment was going to be and she told me not to worry about it so it must have been a lot. The vet told us that Bo might have to stay for a week and he may be better in a couple of days. Riley is missing him. I let him in the house so he wouldn't get so lonely.

Sorry to hear about what you are going through, I wouldn't want to see anyone go through what your going through. I have a really close friend that had a 5 month old Dalmatian that ended up getting Parvo and they didn't know it till it was to late and they lost her.
    We will keep you in our prayers, and hope Bo comes through with a full recovery. Keeping our fingers crossed.

PS) Your dogs in your signature picture are gorgeous......

Bear got parvo at approx 4 mos old - he spent a week in the hospital and it cost over $2000.00, but he has no lasting effects. The earlier you catch it the better. anything you cant or do not want to throw away you want to wash with a 30:1 water/bleach solution. anywhere he threw up or pooped needs to be disinfected with the bleach solution. If your other dog is older he's probably been vaccinated and still can get it but to a much lesser degree. Just watch for loose stools and vomiting.

Get well soon Bo.

Hey. I'm just updating. My mother called the vet this afternoon, around 4:30, and Bo is doing about the same, which is good I guess since he isn't getting worse. Riley seems to be doing fine aside from the fact that he misses his brother.He's been playing with me and mostly laying on me all day. And thank you, my boys are gorgeous. I love them. Even though I've only had them for about 2 months I can't imagine them not being there when I open the door. I think Bo will get better and Riley will be fine. Thank all of you who responded and if you haven't gotten your dogs vaccinated for Parvovirus...DO IT! Make sure you take them for check-ups and don't forget to keep them wormed. You don't want to go through what I am...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast